+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to calculate time before PR ( canadian Spouse)

mpbnrocker

Feb 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2012
AOR Received.
07-09-2012
File Transfer...
07-09-2012
Med's Done....
12-06-2012
Hi All,

I finally got my PR through spousal sponsorship. Before getting PR i was in canada on TWP, now my question is how to calculate the time I spent in Canada before becoming PR ( note that i was accompanying my spouse who is canadian citizen) shall i count the day in full or still it will be counted as a half day.

Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mpbnrocker said:
Hi All,

I finally got my PR through spousal sponsorship. Before getting PR i was in canada on TWP, now my question is how to calculate the time I spent in Canada before becoming PR ( note that i was accompanying my spouse who is canadian citizen) shall i count the day in full or still it will be counted as a half day.

Thanks
Counted as half a day. That you were accompanying your Canadian spouse is irrelevant to the calculation but effective your PR date any such 'accompanying' days count as if they are days in Canada so help you meet the Residence Obligation.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm confused here, you are posting this under Permanent residency obligations but talking about half days as for citizenship.

The requirements are completely different.

For PR obligations, you must stay in Canada at least 730 days in any rolling 5 year period. The clock did not start ticking until the day you got your PR so time spent in Canada before that is irrelevant. Your goal at the moment would be to have 730 days or more in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR and after that to always have 730 days in Canada in the window of the past 5 years.

Time spent with a Canadian spouse outside Canada counts for PR obligations and any part of a day spent in Canada counts as a day spent in Canada.

The residency requirements to apply for citizenship is having spent 1095 days or more in Canada in the past 4 years. In that case, you can count days in Canada before getting PR. Every day spent in Canada before getting PR counts as 1/2 a day towards the citizenship requirements. Because it has to be in the past 4 years before you apply, the earliest you can apply for citizenship is 2 years after getting PR if you had been in Canada for 4 years straight and never left. In that case, the first 2 years before getting PR, you have 730 days at 50% value to 365 days towards the requirements and the second 2 years after getting PR, you have another 730 days so 365+730=1095.

Time spent with a Canadian spouse outside Canada does not count for citizenship requirements unless your spouse is Canadian military or working for the Canadian or provincial government and posted outside Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with Leon. Any time you spent with your spouse outside of Canada before becoming a PR counts for nothing. It doesn't count for citizenship and it doesn't count for retaining your PR status. For the days before you become a PR to count for citizenship - you must be physically in Canada.