+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HOW TO APPLY LIVE-IN CAREGIVER WORK VISA IN CANADA!

VILLAGEHUA

Star Member
Jan 23, 2010
Dear all,
Please help me to figure out my situation! I am taiwanese and taking geriatric care course in vancouver, my student visa will be expired on May,2010. I am looking for a live-in caregiver job right now. My questions are;
1.How long does apply a live-in caregiver work visa process if I am in Canada?
2.Do I need to change my condition from student visa to visitor visa?
3.If I need to go to Seattle apply my work visa, how long should I stay in Seattle?

Thanks for stop by!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
VILLAGEHUA said:
Dear all,
Please help me to figure out my situation! I am taiwanese and taking geriatric care course in vancouver, my student visa will be expired on May,2010. I am looking for a live-in caregiver job right now. My questions are;
1.How long does apply a live-in caregiver work visa process if I am in Canada?
2.Do I need to change my condition from student visa to visitor visa?
3.If I need to go to Seattle apply my work visa, how long should I stay in Seattle?

Thanks for stop by!

First, to qualify for a live in caregiver position your training should be:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op14-eng.pdf p6

5.4. Training requirement [R112(c)]
Candidates for the LCP must have completed the training offered as part of a formal education
program at an educational institution accredited by the appropriate local education authorities.
However, accreditation is not necessarily an endorsement of quality.
Officers should assess the quality of the program and whether it is adequate in equipping the
applicant to perform the duties required by the proposed job. Where there are caregiver training
programs established primarily to provide training to meet Canadian requirements, it will be
necessary to determine their legitimacy as well as the adequacy of the training (see section 5.5
below).
Full-time training must be taken for a duration of at least six months.
Training and experience must be in a field or occupation related to the employment sought. For
example, potential live-in caregivers may have training or experience in early childhood education,
geriatric care, paediatric or geriatric nursing. Caregiving experience in an institutional setting (day
care, crèche, hospital, senior citizens' home, etc.) should be considered in assessing whether the
applicant meets the experience requirement. Experience as a midwife or hospital technician is not
acceptable as they do not have caregiving experience related to children, the elderly or people
with disabilities.
Live-in caregiver training should be similar to the training offered by Canadian community colleges
in child care or other related fields. The course load at Canadian community colleges averages 25
to 30 hours per week. This does not include activity assignments or a practicum. Thus, a student
in an educational institution offering live-in caregiver training should be attending classes at least
25 to 30 hours per week.
It is acceptable to have some on-the-job training throughout the course as long as the classroom
schedule demonstrates that there is a requirement for, and completion of, a full 6 months of fulltime
training in a classroom setting throughout that course.