+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many years have to stay in Canada for getting citizenship?

WatchingYou

Jan 22, 2016
bublo ksa said:
I landed in 2012 so when i can apply? in 2016 or in 2018?
Based on your signature/status shown below your name on the left-hand side, you only applied for permanent residence in 2014 (as itsmyid said before) so how could you land in 2012?
Btw, "landed" refers to the time/date when you became a Permanent Resident, not when you got off a plane as a tourist/student/etc.
So it's either your signature status that's misleading or you were confused by the term "landed".

bublo ksa

Star Member
Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WatchingYou said:
Based on your signature/status shown below your name on the left-hand side, you only applied for permanent residence in 2014 (as itsmyid said before) so how could you land in 2012?
Btw, "landed" refers to the time/date when you became a Permanent Resident, not when you got off a plane as a tourist/student/etc.
So it's either your signature status that's misleading or you were confused by the term "landed".
:) That timeline which showing under my signature is for my spouse's sponsorship, basically I landed in 2012 and in 2014 I sponsored my spouse and I am asking time period for my Canadian citizenship not for my spouse. Sorry for the confusion :)

bublo ksa

Star Member
Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
2016 (assuming you spend no time or extremely little time outside of Canada).

Hi scylla,
Thank you very much for your reply. Now I have to fill application and start process :)

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
How do partial days count into this? Suppose I do a day-trip to the US (so I leave Canada and return to Canada the same day, being in the US less than 24 hours. Is that day subtracted from my 4 years? What about a longer trip - let's say I leave on 5/2 and return on 5/9 - I was not in Canada at all for 8 of those days, but I was partially in the other country for an additional 2 days. I'm uncertain which way partial days count.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
TheMaze said:
How do partial days count into this? Suppose I do a day-trip to the US (so I leave Canada and return to Canada the same day, being in the US less than 24 hours. Is that day subtracted from my 4 years? What about a longer trip - let's say I leave on 5/2 and return on 5/9 - I was not in Canada at all for 8 of those days, but I was partially in the other country for an additional 2 days. I'm uncertain which way partial days count.
I'm not entirely sure but if you returned to Canada the same day, I think its either counted as half day or full day presence in Canada.

Whenever, you have been out for 24 hours from Canada is counted as one day, outside Canada. If you NOT yet applied, its safe to wait, accumulate at least couple of weeks or more extra days rather than be exact number required days to avoid any incorrect interpretation.

You might be aware, some candidate's processing held up for over 4 years just because they were short of few days than required.

If in doubt, I suggest wait for couple of more weeks to apply than rush.

y-axisoverseas

Dec 16, 2015
To apply for Citizenship:

- One must provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French).
- Be a Permanent Resident (PR) Declare that you plan to live in Canada after you become a citizen. Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) before you apply.

I wish you good luck.

For more information on the same you could refer to Canada’s official migration website: www.cic.gc.ca

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
y-axisoverseas said:
To apply for Citizenship:

- One must provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French).
- Be a Permanent Resident (PR) Declare that you plan to live in Canada after you become a citizen. Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) before you apply.
Again, please stop spamming this forum with useless and often completely irrelevant answers just to promote your immigration agency. In case anyone is reading this, y-axis is a fraud / scam agency. Do not use them. Google "y-axis scam" and read the reviews. For example: http://www.grahakseva.com/topic/y-axis-overseas

rdecartus

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
I have a question about proof of residency. I crossed the border by road near Vancouver to go to Seattle and came back a couple of days after. When entering into Canada, I just showed my PR card and I was allowed to enter. Now my concern is that my passport shows entry stamp by US officials but does not show entry stamp into Canada. I am concerned that I do not have any proof of exact date of entry. What can I do in this case?