+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many hours can I work if I am not taking classes in the fall or winter

Scottmccall

Aug 21, 2019
Things aren't looking good for me now and the company I'm working with asked if I wanted to work full time.

I know my limit for summer is 40 hours per week and for winter/fall is 20 hours. But what if I'm not taking classes during winter/fall? Is it still 20 hours?

I am an international student and I have both study permit and work permit (same page)

Thank you

Edit: I didn't take classes during summer because I didn't pay my school fees for winter 2019. I just paid a few hours ago and I registered for one course and that alone was around $2500. I'm still weighing my options. If I can work 40 hours, I'm gonna take a break from school. If I can't, I don't know what I'll do yet.

My dad has been the one paying but business isn't going well and I can't just sit around

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Things aren't looking good for me now and the company I'm working with asked if I wanted to work full time.

I know my limit for summer is 40 hours per week and for winter/fall is 20 hours. But what if I'm not taking classes during winter/fall? Is it still 20 hours?

I am an international student and I have both study permit and work permit (same page)

Thank you
You need to provide more info.

Why aren't you taking classes during winter/fall? Did you have a break from studies during the summer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you

Edit: I didn't take classes during summer because I didn't pay my school fees for winter 2019. I just paid a few hours ago and I registered for one course and that alone was around $2500. I'm still weighing my options. If I can work 40 hours, I'm gonna take a break from school. If I can't, I don't know what I'll do yet.

My dad has been the one paying but business isn't going well and I can't just sit around
Based on the information you've provided, you cannot work at all.

If you have dropped down to part time status (or stopped attending school entirely and taken a break), then you cannot work off campus at all. You must maintain full time student status to be able to work up to 20 hours per week.

If you need to take a break from school and work, the best option is to return to your home country and work there. To work in Canada, you need to obtain a closed work permit which requires you to get a job offer from an employer in Canada, along with an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is long and expensive for employers (generally 4-6 months with no guarantee of approval).

There is a work permit available to students who are destitute - however the requirements are quite stringent and I'm not sure your situation meets them. You can read more about this here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2l

Scottmccall

Aug 21, 2019

If you have dropped down to part time status (or stopped attending school entirely and taken a break), then you cannot work off campus at all. You must maintain full time student status to be able to work up to 20 hours per week.

If you need to take a break from school and work, the best option is to return to your home country and work there. To work in Canada, you need to obtain a closed work permit which requires you to get a job offer from an employer in Canada, along with an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is long and expensive for employers (generally 4-6 months with no guarantee of approval).

There is a work permit available to students who are destitute - however the requirements are quite stringent and I'm not sure your situation meets them. You can read more about this here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2l
Okay, thanks

Scottmccall

Aug 21, 2019

What if I take school part-time? That looks like the only option if I don't get into the courses I'm supposed to take (I'm on a waitlist)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What if I take school part-time? That looks like the only option if I don't get into the courses I'm supposed to take (I'm on a waitlist)
If you are part-time, you cannot work off campus.