+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long is background check?

Feb 13, 2024
Hi all,

This will be my first post here. I'm an American citizen married to a Canadian citizen. We've currently been residing in Ontario for the past year.

Since the rental/house market is effed, and we need to move soon, I want to get a work permit. However it's stating now that the process will take around 100 days.

Now, we're in the final(?) stages of PR. We completed biometrics, passed eligibility, and are now waiting for "Background Verification". It's been about two months since it's been "in progress".

So I'm curious to know how long others in a similar situation have been waiting for this to be approved. Should we expect to wait another 2 months for it to be completed, to move on to the next part of the process?

I don't know if it's worth it to apply for a work permit if my permanent residency will be completed soon. Any advice given would be appreciated!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So I'm curious to know how long others in a similar situation have been waiting for this to be approved. Should we expect to wait another 2 months for it to be completed, to move on to the next part of the process?

I don't know if it's worth it to apply for a work permit if my permanent residency will be completed soon. Any advice given would be appreciated!!
I presume this is spousal sponsorship? You may want to check the family sposnorship forum here.

You don't say when you applied nor when other steps occurred.

But if no issues, my guess - rather wild guess - since you say background verification for a couple months now, is that yes, there is a decent possibility you'd get the PR before the work permit. I believe others have said that the work permits are taking, basically, 2-4 months.

Murphy's Law dictates, however, that if you don't apply for the work permit, your PR will be greatly delayed and you'll regret not having applied; if you do apply for it, then the PR approval will come more quickly.

Therefore, you should apply for the work permit immediately.

Feb 13, 2024
Thanks for responding armoured!

Yes, it is spousal sponsorship. I'll ask my question in the family sponsorship forum too

Our application was received by them on Nov 17, 2023, and they updated our status as "Eligible" on Dec 19, 2023. Since then our status has been "in progress" for Background Verification. So, about 2 months.

Murphy's law is gonna owe me 150 for that work visa if it doesn't come out before PR :rolleyes::rolleyes:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Murphy's law is gonna owe me 150 for that work visa if it doesn't come out before PR :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Murphy's law is not subject to appeal.

Plus you've misunderstood the logic: you apply for the work permit PRECISELY so that you will not get the work permit in time BECAUSE that means you got your PR quicker. The cost of that is the price you pay.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I see
Thanks for the explanation. Guess I'll apply for the work visa after all :cool:
I'm kidding of course, this is superstitious-logic.

But if you want to get the ability to work earlier, I think still makes sense to apply for the work permit. No way to know which will come quicker, everythign else is guessing.

Good luck.