+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long I can work remotely in India with Canadian payroll?

Aug 26, 2020
Hi,

I usually work from ottawa as a IT architect am holding open work permit and I went to India for a vacation and struck here due to COVID, but my employee still willing to run a payroll under Canadian dollars based on my SIN number and still valid my sin until next 2years.
But my question is can I work in India by running Canadian payroll? If yes how long I can work? Is there any abide of law or rules that I need to follow? Can some on please comment or please share some link to read.

thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think this a question for your tax adviser in India. As long as your Canadian company permit you running Canadian payroll.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I usually work from ottawa as a IT architect am holding open work permit and I went to India for a vacation and struck here due to COVID, but my employee still willing to run a payroll under Canadian dollars based on my SIN number and still valid my sin until next 2years.
But my question is can I work in India by running Canadian payroll? If yes how long I can work? Is there any abide of law or rules that I need to follow? Can some on please comment or please share some link to read.

thanks.
If you are not living in Canada this time can not be included in any future PR applications. Not sure if they are granting special exemption although there at this point the majority of the people wanting to return from India have been able to secure flights. This seems more person choice at the moment. It is probably too late now but you are no longer (or almost no longer a tax resident) so you could save yourself a very large amount of taxes. Not sure if the SIN/payroll filings can be reversed. Do you not have a home in Canada that you are still paying for?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are not living in Canada this time can not be included in any future PR applications. Not sure if they are granting special exemption although there at this point the majority of the people wanting to return from India have been able to secure flights. This seems more person choice at the moment. It is probably too late now but you are no longer (or almost no longer a tax resident) so you could save yourself a very large amount of taxes. Not sure if the SIN/payroll filings can be reversed. Do you not have a home in Canada that you are still paying for?
Not sure what you mean by the majority ... have been able to secure flights. As you seen in the other thread, where the poster received emails from the airline (Air France) that PR holders of canada "not included in current scope" under indian authority.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure what you mean by the majority ... have been able to secure flights. As you seen in the other thread, where the poster received emails from the airline (Air France) that PR holders of canada "not included in current scope" under indian authority.
PRs have been able to fly on every other airline.