+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long did it take you to find work?

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
As a new immigrant, how long did it take you to find work? What was your first job?

My husband has been here 3 months and is having a tough time. He is currently working part time - well, less than part time. I don't know if it's typical or not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a new immigrant, how long did it take you to find work? What was your first job?

My husband has been here 3 months and is having a tough time. He is currently working part time - well, less than part time. I don't know if it's typical or not.
Really depends on the type of job and where you’re located. Also depends on your qualifications and job history. Covid has impacted hiring and not a lot of hiring in many industries from mid-November until mid-January in many industries. Is he applying throughout Canada?

ashokleyland

Nov 17, 2018
Abu Dhabi
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
21-02-2014
IELTS Request
25-02-2014
Med's Request
23-01-2018
Med's Done....
02-02-2018 (ABU DHABI)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2018 (VFS GLOBAL MAKATI OFFICE)
LANDED..........
09-12-2018 (TORONTO)
If you are not picky, anything healthcare related is a good start. Like PSW (personal support worker).
First few momths here is hard, most of the time less workimg hours they will give, then as you develop seniority stabLe working hours will come.

Reactions: his*marty

ashokleyland

Nov 17, 2018
Abu Dhabi
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
21-02-2014
IELTS Request
25-02-2014
Med's Request
23-01-2018
Med's Done....
02-02-2018 (ABU DHABI)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-12-2018 (TORONTO)

my first job here is PSW for 3 months, then Got my RPN license, then got my RN license. All immigrants here will start at the bottom, you need to work your way up.. Just stay focus on your goal.

hyong1991

Star Member
Feb 27, 2019

try career edge, https://www.careeredge.ca/

they've some immigrant friendly listings, for newcomers to Canada.

my first job was at a small accounting firm, i graduated in Canada, but back then, B4 and mid tier firms don't really hire foreign students or ppl on a work visa, so i got no choice, but to get a shit job.lol

anw, the main problem is lack of canadian experience, your hubby might have to be get an entry level job, build up some canadian exp before moving on to something better.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Really depends on the type of job and where you’re located. Also depends on your qualifications and job history. Covid has impacted hiring and not a lot of hiring in many industries from mid-November until mid-January in many industries. Is he applying throughout Canada?
Well, he's a pastry chef...and right now he's working 8 hours a week... he's been applying everywhere but it seems like with his resume and no references it's been a challenge or very limited hours wherever he goes. He will start some volunteer work in the new year but he's really stressed not working.

ETA: No, just in our city. I have a good established career, so I'm not willing to relocate.

And yes, he's been trying entry level jobs as well. Some of the issues are language related and for him still getting used to using "cups" and "teaspoons" as opposed to by grams and ml. etc.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Well, he's a pastry chef...and right now he's working 8 hours a week... he's been applying everywhere but it seems like with his resume and no references it's been a challenge or very limited hours wherever he goes. He will start some volunteer work in the new year but he's really stressed not working.

ETA: No, just in our city. I have a good established career, so I'm not willing to relocate.

And yes, he's been trying entry level jobs as well. Some of the issues are language related and for him still getting used to using "cups" and "teaspoons" as opposed to by grams and ml. etc.
COVID is a hard time for the food industry. Volunteering is a good place to start his local connection and feel less stressed out.

Once he improves on his language and the difference in measurement units, there's more likely to get a better job.

canadian-gentleman

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
He is currently working part time - well, less than part time. I don't know if it's typical or not.
Yes, this is typical for immigrants. I came as an international student but my partner (with a PhD in humanities) was struggling to find a job for a long time, then started volunteering at the library, then got a job at a bookstore, and finally got a professional position. It was a long road but paid off.

When COVID subsided last summer the restaurants in my city had to close early because they couldn't find staff. I suspect we will see the same labour shortage in the spring of next year. Your husband will likely be able to get a full time job then.

Good luck and hang in there!

Kandi Vindya

Jan 2, 2022
@ashokleyland Hi, I want to know about PSW jobs....what qualification they will accept for these jobs....actually I got PR...am going to land in Montreal in march....beforing coming to there am applying jobs...but from last 2 months I did not find any job...I have qualification in masters in organic chemistry from India...

ashokleyland

Nov 17, 2018
Abu Dhabi
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
21-02-2014
IELTS Request
25-02-2014
Med's Request
23-01-2018
Med's Done....
02-02-2018 (ABU DHABI)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-12-2018 (TORONTO)
@ashokleyland Hi, I want to know about PSW jobs....what qualification they will accept for these jobs....actually I got PR...am going to land in Montreal in march....beforing coming to there am applying jobs...but from last 2 months I did not find any job...I have qualification in masters in organic chemistry from India...
If you have nursing degree here back home, in Ottawa, you can easily land a job as PSW.
Otherwise you need to study PSW course, 3 months course i think. Cost around 3k$
Nowadays they have program for PSW free tuition, due to pandemic demand for PSW