+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long Canadian PR holder can stay away from Canada

OsmanKhazi

Mar 14, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm Permanent resident of Canada since last 2 years and currently in my home country from past 6 months..My query is if I stay more than 6 months away from Canada, does the PR gets cancelled ? Please help !!

Thanks in advance..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I'm Permanent resident of Canada since last 2 years and currently in my home country from past 6 months..My query is if I stay more than 6 months away from Canada, does the PR gets cancelled ? Please help !!

Thanks in advance..
No.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Didn’t you do some research when you applied for PR? So surprised when people have PR and don’t even know the basic rules.

You may lose or have already lost your health coverage. There are residency requirements for healthcare even if you have a valid health card. You are also supposed to notify you provincial healthcare plan when you leave Canada for an extended period of time so they know if someone is using you health number fraudulently.

Reactions: foodie69

OsmanKhazi

Mar 14, 2014
Thank you for the info on it..I had to stay in my home country due to emergency situation..nothing was planned. I will inform the health care as soon as possible. Will I have to inform CIC as well ? Just in case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the info on it..I had to stay in my home country due to emergency situation..nothing was planned. I will inform the health care as soon as possible. Will I have to inform CIC as well ? Just in case.
No need to inform CIC. If you are receiving something like child tax benefit you need to inform CRA that you are no longer in Canada if your children are not in Canada as well.