+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long before I register my car in Canada and till what time the auto insurance would cover it?

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
Hello,

I have made the move to Canada from US in mid January...
I exported my car from US into Canada... got car inspection done as well.

questions...

1. how much time do I have before I register my car in Canada?
I know there is a 45 day timeline before I need to get the inspection done... (which I have completed)
But I want to check on the maximum time I have before I register my car in Ontario. The reason I want to delay this is because I do need to visit US in next few weeks, and I need my US license to take care of few paper works dependent on that... (basically need some more time - more than 45 days - to hold on to my US license, because if I register my car today in Canada, they would need Ontario license and for that I would have to surrender my US license)

2.How long will my US auto insurance company be able to support my car here in Canada?
From what I have gathered - they should be able to honor the insurance until I get my car registered in Canada, or until half of my policy duration (whichever is sooner).
But I also think / wonder that how will they be able to cover my car after the export? I would think that they would cease to cover my car as soon as I exported it out from US... but could not find a good proof of that...
Meaning they would cease coverage as soon as it is exported? Or they would cease coverage until it is registered in Canada?

thoughts?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I was in similar situation, and as far as I researched there is no strict deadline for you get your car registered in Ontario. Your insurance will cover you until you switch as long as you maintain to them that you are visiting (not established residence) Canada.

But my only worry was taking the car that has been cleared for export by CBP (I think they put the VIN in their system as exported vehicle) again back in to US and bringing the car that has been cleared for import by CBSA. I wasn't sure what troubles it could create on both sides of the border and eventually took a rental car.

Reactions: bluesaffron

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
I was in similar situation, and as far as I researched there is no strict deadline for you get your car registered in Ontario. Your insurance will cover you until you switch as long as you maintain to them that you are visiting (not established residence) Canada.

But my only worry was taking the car that has been cleared for export by CBP (I think they put the VIN in their system as exported vehicle) again back in to US and bringing the car that has been cleared for import by CBSA. I wasn't sure what troubles it could create on both sides of the border and eventually took a rental car.
I should have explained ... so when I go back to US, I would take a rental car etc... will not take my exported car... Good catch though :)
So, I was a little unclear and I ended up buying insurance here in Canada which is costing me $300 cad per month... :(
May be I should cancel it ?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I should have explained ... so when I go back to US, I would take a rental car etc... will not take my exported car... Good catch though :)
So, I was a little unclear and I ended up buying insurance here in Canada which is costing me $300 cad per month... :(
May be I should cancel it ?
you cannot cancel Canadian insurance as they would mostly have a one year contract. I am not sure when you are planning to register in Ontario. you might have to live with both insurances if you need to hang in to your US license. also don't cancel your US insurance without canceling your registration as it would trigger no liability insurance penalty with regards to your US DMV.

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
you cannot cancel Canadian insurance as they would mostly have a one year contract. I am not sure when you are planning to register in Ontario. you might have to live with both insurances if you need to hang in to your US license. also don't cancel your US insurance without canceling your registration as it would trigger no liability insurance penalty with regards to your US DMV.
Actually, I should be able to cancel the Canadian insurance...
It’s just that the agent does not give me a direct answer, ... so if I insist, I should be able to get it cancelled ,,. ( and I only paid for 2 months)...
I just want to make sure that canceling the Canadian insurance, and saving a month or so of the premium (and keeping the US license) does not make me out of coverage until I register my car... I think I need till mid April time to finally exchange my US license to Ontario (and then register the car)

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Actually, I should be able to cancel the Canadian insurance...
It’s just that the agent does not give me a direct answer, ... so if I insist, I should be able to get it cancelled ,,. ( and I only paid for 2 months)...
I just want to make sure that canceling the Canadian insurance, and saving a month or so of the premium (and keeping the US license) does not make me out of coverage until I register my car... I think I need till mid April time to finally exchange my US license to Ontario (and then register the car)
Just check the start and end date in your insurance card..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, US insurance is till June 2021:..
Thanks @canprofus for your prompt responses !!
Curious... you mentioned that you were in the similar situation...
So where are you now? Where have you settled ?
Would be looking at your US policy very carefully or speak to your US insurance company (get answer in writing) because there may be a condition that your primary residence be in the US for the US for your coverage to be valid. If you ever need to make a claim the insurance company is likely to look into your life and if you've moved to Canada, imported your car, etc. moved to Canada it would be very difficult to claim that your primary residence was in the US. $300 is a lot (although not even close to as high I have seen) but much better than any potential claim.

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
Would be looking at your US policy very carefully or speak to your US insurance company (get answer in writing) because there may be a condition that your primary residence be in the US for the US for your coverage to be valid. If you ever need to make a claim the insurance company is likely to look into your life and if you've moved to Canada, imported your car, etc. moved to Canada it would be very difficult to claim that your primary residence was in the US. $300 is a lot (although not even close to as high I have seen) but much better than any potential claim.
Got it!... Thanks @canuck78