+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how easy is it to get work permit extension?

Skip

Aug 6, 2007
If I complete 1yr (8month) masters program that qualifies me for 8 months of work visa right.

Now I want to ask that after this if I find a job then will my employer be easily able to extend my work permit? Will it have to be approved through hrdc? Since, nowadays unemployment is high, I imagine that hrdc would not be very kind to issue an extension of work visa. I just want to know how easy is it to get a work permit extension after 8 months masters study program. I intend to follow my studies in business related subjects like marketing or management.

skip.

AndreaSA

Feb 3, 2009
After your Open work permit(8months) expire you need to extend it like any other person would do
It would take 6 to 7 weeks (my bf took him 8 months and he didnt even need the LMO)
It's not as easy, it takes a long time specially now.
I recommend (specially if you need a LMO) to apply 3 months before your work permit expires, otherwise you will be a few months with out visa hence you wont get paid

Remember you need to apply to LMO first (takes at LEAST a month) . Make sure your employer listed your job in the canada job bank and has proof that tried to hired a canadian. and then you apply to work permit (6-7 weeks) Please double read everything in the form and anything they ask, the website usually don't say all the details you need. Any question just call. CIC website is missing a lot of information and details..sadly... I found that the hard way.