+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How early can a student travel?

Seeker007

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Hello. Asking for someone else. After obtaining a student visa, how many days before the start of classes can a student travel to Canada, is there any restriction? What questions would the immigration officer ask at the airport?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. Asking for someone else. After obtaining a student visa, how many days before the start of classes can a student travel to Canada, is there any restriction? What questions would the immigration officer ask at the airport?

Thank you.
General rule is four weeks early.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I don't think there is an established amount of time. I believe it's a judgement call by the immigration officer that greets you at the airport. I've seen as a general rule that the maximum amount of time that's recommended should be no more than one month prior to the start of your studies.

Reactions: EssKay1234

Seeker007

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
I don't think there is an established amount of time. I believe it's a judgement call by the immigration officer that greets you at the airport. I've seen as a general rule that the maximum amount of time that's recommended should be no more than one month prior to the start of your studies.
Okay that makes sense. Thank you

wakongah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2022
I know someone who flew in something like 2 months before. Upon arrival, the immigration official sent her back and said, “come back in a month.”

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
I know someone who flew in something like 2 months before. Upon arrival, the immigration official sent her back and said, “come back in a month.”
And i know someone who travelled in October and his classes were going to start in January and entered Canada without issues. As Geet7 said, the CBSA agent will take into account your specific circumstances and make a decision. There's no "one-size-fits-all" when it comes to this specific matter.

Reactions: EssKay1234

Seeker007

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Than
And i know someone who travelled in October and his classes were going to start in January and entered Canada without issues. As Geet7 said, the CBSA agent will take into account your specific circumstances and make a decision. There's no "one-size-fits-all" when it comes to this specific matter.
Thank you.

Prayedup12

Jan 4, 2023
when did you end up arriving?