+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does auto insurance work for foreign driver's license?

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Newly landed in BC, holding driver's license that cannot be transferred directly (ie. need to take the knowledge and driving test). Currently own a car and bought insurance using foreign license with no claim bonus discount.

Since my DL cannot be transferred, once I take the knowledge test I'll be holding a learner's license, will that make me lose my no claim bonus discount right away?

I know once I pass the road test, I'll be given a full license and being recognized my abroad driving experience. However, not sure how long it takes me to pass the road test. How is my current auto insurance being affected during this transitional period?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Having a learners license will bump up your insurance premium. You have no choice but to pay that high premium. From an insurance company's perspective, you are learning to drive in Canada so you are a potential risk on the road.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Get and international drivers license. This will solve the learners license issue, provided you can prove that you have been driving for a while. From my experience if you have been driving in another country for long enough and can prove it (your foreign license should do). Combined with an international drivers license, should be easy enough to convert to a full license.

I would suggest you contact the licensing authority in the province you are planning to settle, to make sure of their exact requirements.

International drivers license typically should also solve the insurance issue, except for no claim bonus. Bring evidence of that if you want any benefit at all. Not all insurers will give you the benefit of that but most likely will give you at least some benefit.

Good luck

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't remember exactly, but in the transition period, ICBC dq the bonus and I had to pay the difference. But then when I pass the road test and got the full license, ICBC gave me back the difference (at least partially) and bonus.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
I don't remember exactly, but in the transition period, ICBC dq the bonus and I had to pay the difference. But then when I pass the road test and got the full license, ICBC gave me back the difference (at least partially) and bonus.
ICBC website says a Learner needs to wait at least 12 months before he/she can take the road test. So if ICBC will dq the bonus, then will have to pay in full for one year! If I want to clarify, is this a licensing office question or is this a autoplan broker question?

So for now, since licensing office allows 90 days for new immigrants to get the BC license, it'll be desirable to wait as close to that 90 days as possible to get the learners license.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
ICBC website says a Learner needs to wait at least 12 months before he/she can take the road test. So if ICBC will dq the bonus, then will have to pay in full for one year! If I want to clarify, is this a licensing office question or is this a autoplan broker question?

So for now, since licensing office allows 90 days for new immigrants to get the BC license, it'll be desirable to wait as close to that 90 days as possible to get the learners license.
If I remember you correctly, you have at least two years of non-learner's driving experience in China. If this is the case, according to ICBC website, you can book the road test as soon as you pass the knowledge and you are ready. If ICBC dq the bonus, you probably will have to pay in full at any autoplan broker. I think you can clarify this with your autoplan broker.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Just remember that no matter which type of license you bring to canada, convertible or not, most provinces require that you change over to a local license within 3 months of taking up residence in that province. That means have a physical address there.

For ICBC (landed in BC) I had my old foreign license for showing proof of how long I had a license, and my international drivers license. With those I was able to do the test, and they granted me a full drivers license upon passing.

Good luck.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
NetMecca said:
Just remember that no matter which type of license you bring to canada, convertible or not, most provinces require that you change over to a local license within 3 months of taking up residence in that province. That means have a physical address there.

For ICBC (landed in BC) I had my old foreign license for showing proof of how long I had a license, and my international drivers license. With those I was able to do the test, and they granted me a full drivers license upon passing.

Good luck.
Can you share at what point you need to surrender your foreign driver's license?
1. When you apply for the knowledge test?
2. When you pass the knowledge test?
3. When you apply to take the road test?
4. When you pass the road test?

I dropped by an autoplan agent, she said that there's no need to change any insurance even with a learners license, key is whether the foreign DL is still on hand (ie. at what point will the licensing office take the foreign license away). However, she told me the foreign DL will be taken away if one fails the road test and so deemed the insurance invalid. So it's possible that there's a point where I will have no driver's license at all and so making my insurance coverage invalid?

I'm fine in any case, just need to know what to expect and plan accordingly. However, having troubles finding consistent answers so far.

amin_cant

Sep 15, 2018
wyho007Hero Member: Can you give me any contact/Tel no to get the car insurance under International Licence? I need to get insurance for my car too. Thanks.