Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Matt the Aussie said:
"Oh For Sure" and also "You Betcha" are definitely more specific to Western Canada. I used to work in a Canada-wide call centre and that was my own observation at least.

I'm struggling to think of how else you would pronounce "past-ah" though? :p lol
I think the Italian way to say it is "p-aww-sta"

I myself say "past-ah" and I'm Canadian, not of Italian decent. Go figure lol

JessNess

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2014
AOR Received.
May 24, 2014
File Transfer...
May 29, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
January 28, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 31, 2014 COPR Received
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
I love Canada, I will never go back to the USA ever again. VIVA CANADA!!!! XOXOX!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Florida Bear said:
Loonies and Toonies are very convenient.

These are just some interesting things I've noticed while living here. So far it's a great country and most of the people have been very friendly. It truly is a massive melting pot of cultures which is outstanding. :)
I LOVE me some loonies and twonies! I always have at least $5 or $6 in change in my wallet, and sometimes I can find $25 or $35 in there, haha! I've come to detest US $1 bills, and know I know why I used to find crumpled wads of them in the hubby's pants. They're inconvenient.

As we've talked about in this thread, Canada can vary widely depending on where you are. I'm in an area of Northern Québec where it's not at ALL a melting pot. There are, like, 12 last names here. From what I've learned over the past two years, the Québécois in general (with possibly the exception of Montréal; Montréal is its own beast) identify very strongly by region and are very loyal to their "own" (their own region, traditions, others from the same place). Having said that, I've been told time and time again how "closed" this region is to outsiders. Definitely to Anglophones, but even to Francophones who come from "elsewhere" in Québec. In my experience, that's a self-fulfilling prophecy that doesn't have to be true.

I had zero expectations when I started looking for work. My French has come a long way in two years, but I don't consider myself fluently bilingual by any stretch of the imagination. I'm "functionally" bilingual, in that I can do anything I need to in French, but often without style or grace, and sometimes with much more difficulty than I'd have in English. In addition to language issues, I have a name that immediately screams "ain't from 'round here!" (My first name is Megan, not French, not even the French version of Mégane, and I took my husband's last name, which is Italian.) Even beyond that, my resumé clearly showed I had zero work experience in Canada, as all of my work experience lists Oklahoma addresses. A surprising number of people up here have actually heard of Oklahoma, but mostly only because of our tornados.

So, having said all of that, I started looking for work in May, after I finished my immigrant French courses. Zero expectations; most Anglo spouses up here don't work outside of the home. I had interviews for three different jobs within a month, despite my "outsider name" and my lack of Canadian experience. I got two job offers from those interviews. So I think people are perfectly willing to accept others who make an effort to be friendly and respectful.

keesio said:
I think Quebec feels overall threatened by the dominance of Anglo culture and feel their language/culture fading away - hence their very protectionist attitudes towards them. But this is directed more at Anglo Canada than the US.
I think you're right. My husband has called the area in which we live the "heart of separatist Québec." I find they are perhaps more accepting of Americans than Anglo Canadians up here. When I interact with people when I'm out and about (in not-great but improving French) and it comes up that I'm an American, I get a lot of kudos for my French. I always giggle at, "Your French is excellent for an American!" :-D Glad my people set the bar low to help make me look better! I think an American who came here and learned French as seen as having gone above and beyond what is expected of them, but Canadians who "never bothered" to learn French are seen as somewhat dismissive of Québécois culture.

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
JessNess said:
I love Canada, I will never go back to the USA ever again. VIVA CANADA!!!! XOXOX!
So share your stories with us then please... ;)

What do you like about living in Canada?

What are the good things in Canada that you didn't get to enjoy in the US?

And what are the bad things in the US that you don't have to suffer from in Canada? =P

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
QuebecOkie said:
I think you're right. My husband has called the area in which we live the "heart of separatist Québec." I find they are perhaps more accepting of Americans than Anglo Canadians up here. When I interact with people when I'm out and about (in not-great but improving French) and it comes up that I'm an American, I get a lot of kudos for my French. I always giggle at, "Your French is excellent for an American!" :-D Glad my people set the bar low to help make me look better! I think an American who came here and learned French as seen as having gone above and beyond what is expected of them, but Canadians who "never bothered" to learn French are seen as somewhat dismissive of Québécois culture.
yes I always suspected that the locals in Quebec have the most issues with Anglo Canadians. For anyone else, if they make any attempt to try to speak French and respect the local culture, they are quite welcoming I found. When I have visited Quebec, I did not find much attitude at all despite my abysmal French skills. I think that is because I am of asian descent so they are just happy that I can speak English fluently at least, even though I had lived in Canada for many years. Basically the expectations of me knowing French are low. And for Americans in general (regardless of ethnicity), their stereotype of Americans being pretty self-centered and being among the least bilingual people on the earth plays into their low expectations of Americans even trying to speak another language. So they are pleasantly surprised when an American not only tries to speak French, but can do it well. Anglo Canadians definitely not get this benefit. I'd argue that Quebec is up there in places in Canada where you are not hassled as much for being American compared to other places in Canada - as long as you try to learn the language and try to culturally fit in. It is interesting because at the same time, Quebec usually buys into the "ugly American" stereotype as much as anyone in Canada... but goes to show that showing a little respect their way can go a long way.

hillaryh

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 23,2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 6, 2015
Med's Done....
May 3, 2015
LANDED..........
DM- Dec 6, 2015
canada is SO much more expensive. at least double...

and some things are very hard to find at the grocery. it makes me angry when I have my heart set on making a certain recipe and i can't find simple (or so I thought) ingredients. :(

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
keesio said:
yes I always suspected that the locals in Quebec have the most issues with Anglo Canadians. For anyone else, if they make any attempt to try to speak French and respect the local culture, they are quite welcoming I found. When I have visited Quebec, I did not find much attitude at all despite my abysmal French skills. I think that is because I am of asian descent so they are just happy that I can speak English fluently at least, even though I had lived in Canada for many years. Basically the expectations of me knowing French are low. And for Americans in general (regardless of ethnicity), their stereotype of Americans being pretty self-centered and being among the least bilingual people on the earth plays into their low expectations of Americans even trying to speak another language. So they are pleasantly surprised when an American not only tries to speak French, but can do it well. Anglo Canadians definitely not get this benefit. I'd argue that Quebec is up there in places in Canada where you are not hassled as much for being American compared to other places in Canada - as long as you try to learn the language and try to culturally fit in. It is interesting because at the same time, Quebec usually buys into the "ugly American" stereotype as much as anyone in Canada... but goes to show that showing a little respect their way can go a long way.
Agreed all around. And the stereotypes exist for a reason. I left some amazing friends and family behind in the US, but there are far too many Americans who are ignorant, and an unfortunate percentage of those ignorant people are also very LOUD.

While I certainly notice trends and tendencies, what this move has taught me is that, at the most basic level, people are just people, wherever you go. Sure, politics and religion change from place to place (and are subjects I avoid like the PLAGUE), but there are kind people, and a$$holes, and open-minded people, and closed-minded bigots. It has little to do with nationality or location. I find when I put a positive, friendly vibe out into the world, that's mostly what I get back. Wherever I am.