+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I relinquish my PR? URGENT HELP NEEDED

drpav

Jan 31, 2013
Hi,

I have read various posts on here about this topic. My parents got PR in Canada for me as a child, I assumed it had lapsed but found out yesterday that it had not. I have lived in the UK for many years now. I am about to apply for a work permit in Canada and have been told that I need to relinquish my PR first as I do not meet the requirements for PR.

I understand that I have to fill in the form IMM 5539B to voluntarily relinquish my PR, but how exactly do I do this?

Where can I get the form? Where do I send it? Does this form have to be filled in in person at an embassy?

I am in the UK and it is absolutely impossible to speak to someone at the embassy in London to make an appointment. Do I just have to go there without an appointment? Do I have to employ an immigration lawyer to do this for me? If so can someone recommend a good and CHEAP one please?

Help appreciated.

Pav

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How old are you? If you are still in your 20's, you have a good chance of being granted a travel document to return to Canada and resume your PR. This would be based on your parents removing you from Canada as a minor child and you returning at the first possible opportunity after reaching the age of 22.

Otherwise, if you can't get the form for the PR relinquishment from the embassy (because you can't reach them). Fill out an application for a travel document anyway. If they deny you one, they should revoke your PR at the same time. If they grant it, you are still a PR. You can find the application form here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

If you do get your PR back, you should preferably stay in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving to secure your status.

drpav

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for the swift response.

I am 31 years old.

I have been back to Canada many times since turning 20, so have had opportunities to resume residency. In fact I was there last week trying to secure job as a family physician in B.C.

I found this out because my brother went to Vancouver yesterday and went through immigration for his work permit and was told that he was still a PR, he was 'detained' for several hours and told that he should leave the country within 30 days and then return and his work permit would be granted and his PR would be relinquished.

Is there no other way to get the form? e.g. online? If not I will have to physically go down to London but I'm not sure if I can just turn up without an appointment.

How long will the relinquishing process take? I am hoping to be living and working there in May and do not want this to hinder me.

I have an immigration lawyer who has been helping me with my work permit etc., but he is asking for another $1500 to sort this PR situation out, which I feel is extortionate.

Thanks,

Pav

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was your brother reported on entry for not meeting the residency requirements or did he get any paperwork to that effect or did he sign a PR relinquish form at the border?

If he did not, losing his PR is not automatic. There are actually people who are allowed into Canada with an old PR, sometimes told that they should relinquish it when they get home or something. If they do get in, they can stay for 2 years without leaving and this will bring their PR status back in good standing.

Anyway, I am not aware of a way to find the relinquish PR form online. I have looked a couple of times and not found it. You could use the PR travel document form but write on it that you don't actually want a travel document, you want it verified that you do not meet the residency requirements so they can revoke your PR so you can apply for a work permit.

This was offered as a solution to one person who was on this forum who wanted to relinquish his PR but his embassy/visa office did not have the form to relinquish the PR or did not know of it so they suggested that solution instead. As far as I know, it worked.

drpav

Jan 31, 2013
I'll find out exactly what my brother did and what forms he filled later and get back to you.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Pav

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drpav said:
Hi,

I have read various posts on here about this topic. My parents got PR in Canada for me as a child, I assumed it had lapsed but found out yesterday that it had not. I have lived in the UK for many years now. I am about to apply for a work permit in Canada and have been told that I need to relinquish my PR first as I do not meet the requirements for PR.

I understand that I have to fill in the form IMM 5539B to voluntarily relinquish my PR, but how exactly do I do this?

Where can I get the form? Where do I send it? Does this form have to be filled in in person at an embassy?

I am in the UK and it is absolutely impossible to speak to someone at the embassy in London to make an appointment. Do I just have to go there without an appointment? Do I have to employ an immigration lawyer to do this for me? If so can someone recommend a good and CHEAP one please?

Help appreciated.

Pav
It seems CBSA haven't questioned you at entry to Canada so the issue of you being a PR never came up. Are you able to live in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving for a single day? If yes then If I was you I would enter Canada as you you have been doing and apply for a SIN (Social Insurance Number) and show this to prospective employer as proof your right to work in Canada. If they push show them your Form IMM1000 record of landing as proof of your PR status. Once you accumulate 730 days of presence you meet the Residence Obligation and can apply for a PR Card.

Only the Immigration Board can determine that you've lost your PR subject to you appealing any refusal of a travel document or of being reported on entry. Seems your brother was bullied/coerced into signing away his PR at the border...the 30 days is just the time to appeal any report at the border.

Its better to try and save your PR than relinquish and go with a Work Permit. You have more rights as a PR and its a faster route to Citizenship if you want unrestricted entry into Canada.

drpav

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for your response.

I understand the reasons for trying to keep my PR, but ultimately I haven't been resident in Canada and I would like to do everything in the correct manner to avoid any potential hiccups in the future. It could be easily proved that I haven't lived in Canada and I don't want this to come and bite me later.

This is why I wish to relinquish my PR. I am told that because of the skilled worker program it shouldn't be too difficult for me to get PR at a later stage. Also I cannot stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving at all.

I think I have found the form IMM 5539b on line, could someone tell me if this is the up to date form?

It won't let me post the link, but if you google search imm 5539b it's the 3rd one down with chinese type characters in the address at worldok (dot com)

Pav

bassem132

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
syria
Category........
Visa Office......
amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03\02\2012
AOR Received.
01\03\2012
File Transfer...
02\03\2012
Is there transportation companies send me PR to Lebanon because I am outside Canada has not received ME PR and I want to return to Canada

Krishnasg

Jun 23, 2013
Hello All

I am in similar situation like Drapv, i have job offer from canada ,but i have a PR which was expired in 2008. Given the Immigration staff in Canadian embassy is on strike , don't have any clue how to proceed further.

I need start my the new job early , or atleast provide them with a date when i can make my available so they can apply for work visa.