+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I contact the Canadian government to resolve my PR card status?

qais1975

Dec 5, 2014
Hi,

I have an expired PR card (it was expired in 2013) and I failed to meet the residency requirement (two years) as I only stayed in Canada for eight months. I'm outside of Canada. I left in 2011 and never went back, assuming that I could renew my PR card anytime and return to Canada but somebody told me that I might have already lost my PR status. How do I know? How do I contact the government of Canada to resolve my PR status and see if I still have a chance to return to Canada with an expired PR card? Is there an email or a phone number?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Qais

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no one to contact.

To keep your PR status you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years. You obviously don't meet this residency requirement.

PR status is not automatically revoked if you don't meet the residency requirement. At the same time, you can't renew your PR card.

Assuming you are from a non-visa exempt country, your only real option for keeping your PR status is to obtain a US visitor visa, fly to the US and then try to enter Canada by land using your COPR. If you are able to enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet the residency obligation - then you will need to live in Canada for two years straight without leaving before you'll be able to renew your PR card. If you are reported at the border, then you'll have to appear in at a hearing to argue why you should be able to keep your PR status. If you aren't successful, your PR status will be officially revoked and you'll need leave Canada.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
I don't understand how some people can go through all the trouble of getting PR in Canada.. and then not live there. What's the point?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree with scylla. You don't meet the RO (residency obligation) but you haven't lost your PR officially because Canada does not keep tabs on all PR's and where they are at all times. However, if you contact them (if you find someone to contact) or if you apply for a PR travel document in order to return to Canada, they will look into your case and find that you haven't met the RO and should lose your PR and that is when you would lose it officially.

Like scylla says, the best bet to keep your PR would be to return to Canada through the US border if possible. If you don't get reported on entry, you can live in Canada for 2 years straight without applying for anything. Live under the radar so to speak. This is not illegal because as you haven't officially lost your PR, you still have your status and if you have a SIN, you can work legally. However, you may have problems getting health care and drivers license because of your expired PR card and you can't apply to renew it because you would bring attention to yourself.

If you did get reported on entry, you would have to appeal and in that case, immigration already knows about you so you can apply to renew your PR card while you are under appeal but only for a year at a time. You can live in Canada and work etc. while you wait for your appeal to get processed which can take 1-2 years. However, if you didn't have humane and compassionate grounds for not being able to meet the RO, you will likely lose your appeal and lose your PR and be asked to leave.

If you lose your PR, you can apply again if you qualify. If you believe that you qualify now under the current immigration programs, you can renounce your PR now based on not meeting the RO and apply again right away.