+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I apply for OHIP using my CEC ITA/AOR?

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
I've applied for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. I want to apply for OHIP. The requirements for OHIP include:
  • My ITA (Invitation to Apply) or my AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt)
  • Driver's license
  • Credit card
The issue here is the documents are supposed to be originals (not printouts of electronic documents). However, for Express Entry applications there isn't a mailed AOR or ITA. Am I good to just take the printed versions, or do I show them the PDFs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've applied for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. I want to apply for OHIP. The requirements for OHIP include:
  • My ITA (Invitation to Apply) or my AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt)
  • Driver's license
  • Credit card
The issue here is the documents are supposed to be originals (not printouts of electronic documents). However, for Express Entry applications there isn't a mailed AOR or ITA. Am I good to just take the printed versions, or do I show them the PDFs?
Have you received PR? What is your current status? Implied status?

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
No, but I am eligible for OHIP because I have a PR application that is being processed.
You are not eligible for OHIP just because you applied for PR. For insurance, you need a BOWP, PR, WP or basically any legal status in hand. Without this they will decline. You cannot get health coverage under implied status.

I already went to OHIP with my AOR (after reading a post here), and they declined.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
You are not eligible for OHIP just because you applied for PR. For insurance, you need a BOWP, PR, WP or basically any legal status in hand. Without this they will decline. You cannot get health coverage under implied status.

I already went to OHIP with my AOR (after reading a post), and they declined.
They really need to update their website then. Service Ontario says all you need is a pending PR application. I'm currently on a bridging open work permit, so I guess I'll wait till the permit arrives in the mail. Thank you!

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
They really need to update their website then. Service Ontario says all you need is a pending PR application. I'm currently on a bridging open work permit, so I guess I'll wait till the permit arrives in the mail. Thank you!
If you are on BOWP and have it in hand, then you can apply.
Your 1st was confusing as you mentioned you want to apply through your AOR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are working and have the bridging work permit already (not just applied for one) you should be able to apply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add for anyone reading is not all you need as would need to show proof of following so someone cannot just show up and say they have an application in process, for example if they were just a visitor so have to take account all of the requireements to qualify

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
I recently had an amazing experience with Ohip which I'd like to share. My spouse Ohip got expired in November 2019 and she delivered our baby on December 2019. Her spouse open work permit had expired and so was her health card but we had applied for spousal sponsorship PR + owp. She received her AOR in Dec 2019. When she delivered the baby through midwife we had a hospital bill on a self pay basis which was 3500$. The lady from the accounts department told me that if you still manage to get the health card updated within the next 3months we can charge Ohip and not you.

I went to our nearest service Ontario with my wife AOR and explained the situation but they denied her health card extension. Reading through some forums I got to know to write to the review committee for Ohip eligibility which I did through email as well as through mail.

We waited for 3months and nothing. And it was due that we had to pay the hospital bill.

Recently we received the email from Ohip letting us know that they have approved the renewal of my spouse health card and we will get the full refund on the bill that was paid. We are so relieved now.. so all of you had a similar situation please write to the committee explaining your situation. Hope this helps. Adios stay safe.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I recently had an amazing experience with Ohip which I'd like to share. My spouse Ohip got expired in November 2019 and she delivered our baby on December 2019. Her spouse open work permit had expired and so was her health card but we had applied for spousal sponsorship PR + owp. She received her AOR in Dec 2019. When she delivered the baby through midwife we had a hospital bill on a self pay basis which was 3500$. The lady from the accounts department told me that if you still manage to get the health card updated within the next 3months we can charge Ohip and not you.

I went to our nearest service Ontario with my wife AOR and explained the situation but they denied her health card extension. Reading through some forums I got to know to write to the review committee for Ohip eligibility which I did through email as well as through mail.

We waited for 3months and nothing. And it was due that we had to pay the hospital bill.

Recently we received the email from Ohip letting us know that they have approved the renewal of my spouse health card and we will get the full refund on the bill that was paid. We are so relieved now.. so all of you had a similar situation please write to the committee explaining your situation. Hope this helps. Adios stay safe.
This is very confusing. How did your spouse have a SOWP if you are a PR? You then mention that you are applying for PR+OWP. Are you meaning spousal sponsorship because if you both applied for PR OWP would not be an option? Having your bill paid 3 months after doesn’t make any sense. Believe she meant if you can prove you were supposed be covered by OHIP you have 3 months to prove that you actually had coverage. Assume she kept on working in November and December.

Would point out that OHIP already paid for a huge portion of your birth. Although I have so many friends with OHIP who were turned away from midwives due to a full practice, even early in their pregnancies, anyone without OHIP seems to get into a midwifery practice so easily.

Last edited:

r_a

Jan 22, 2024
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2024
AOR Received.
01-02-2024
Hi,

I am in SOWP and I have applied for PR (received AOR on Feb 1, 2024). I am moving to Ontario with a valid job offer from March 19, 2024.
May I know when I would be able to apply for OHIP Card? TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am in SOWP and I have applied for PR (received AOR on Feb 1, 2024). I am moving to Ontario with a valid job offer from March 19, 2024.
May I know when I would be able to apply for OHIP Card? TIA
You can apply right away if your SOWP is valid and you can show that you have a full-time job that is scheduled to last over 6 months.

Reactions: r_a