14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
Hi everyone,

My status is a visitor in Canada using my passport which allow me to visit here without a visa for 6 months. I'm actually waiting for my PR to be approved. I landed Canada on 2 July with a bank draft and when I went thro custom, I found out we can only bring 10000 CAN dollar into Canada but I have a bigger check. I did not declare the bank draft as I thought it would cause more toubles, they would question a lot or maybe refuse to let me enter canada. Since I didnt declare my check, I'm not sure should I deposit it in the bank. I'm not sure will the bank report me to the custom and i'm feeling very frustrated right now. I'm going to buy a car and do all the settlement with the money but now I may need to cancel the check and try to wire the money by using online banking. I dont even know can I just cancel the check while I'm not in my honme country. Please give me some advise. Thanks a lot!

PS I;m using HSBC and going to open and HSBC bank a/c here too.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no limit. You can bring a million but you just have to declare. If you don't declare and they find out, the money would be seized and you might be fined.

I thought you said you have a Hong Kong HSBC credit card! With this and the atm card, you can withdraw cash from any HSBC Canada ABM.

I'm sure that you can phone Hong Kong HSBC whether you can cancel the cheque. But I'm curious, why didn't you visit the International Banking Centre at the iconic HSBC main brach in Central before you came here? You could have asked them to help you set up and deposit the funds in the Canadian HSBC Bank account.

You can still use your Hong Kong HSBC credit card to pay the down payment of your desired car, though. :)

kkbaggio

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Kelowna BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 May 2013
Doc's Request.
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
13 June 2013
File Transfer...
19 June 2013
Med's Done....
14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
steaky said:
There is no limit. You can bring a million but you just have to declare. If you don't declare and they find out, the money would be seized and you might be fined.

I thought you said you have a Hong Kong HSBC credit card! With this and the atm card, you can withdraw cash from any HSBC Canada ABM.

I'm sure that you can phone Hong Kong HSBC whether you can cancel the cheque. But I'm curious, why didn't you visit the International Banking Centre at the iconic HSBC main brach in Central before you came here? You could have asked them to help you set up and deposit the funds in the Canadian HSBC Bank account.
I was doing it in my local HSBC and the teller suggested me a bank cheque would be the best and secure way to bring money to Canada. Do you think the bank will report me? how about I have a joint bank account with my fiancee and deposit the money into the bank? would it help?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kkbaggio said:
I was doing it in my local HSBC and the teller suggested me a bank cheque would be the best and secure way to bring money to Canada. Do you think the bank will report me? how about I have a joint bank account with my fiancee and deposit the money into the bank? would it help?
I'm not sure. Call the bank and find out.

I would say online transfer would be the best, fastest and secure way to bring money to Canada. Bank cheques takes a long time for clearance.