+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing benefit from province

Newbie051907

May 10, 2022
Is housing benefit from NB provincial government which is considered social assistance in the sponsorship process? My husband is sponsoring me and we are eligible for the benefit. Is this benefit social assistance that IRCC referring to? No one could actually answer including IRCC(unreachable)...:(

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Is housing benefit from NB provincial government which is considered social assistance in the sponsorship process? My husband is sponsoring me and we are eligible for the benefit. Is this benefit social assistance that IRCC referring to? No one could actually answer including IRCC(unreachable)...:(
What is considered social assistance
Some benefits (money, goods or services) from provinces or territories are considered to be social assistance for the purpose of sponsoring. This includes assistance from the government to cover basic needs like:

• food
  • shelter
  • clothing
  • fuel
  • utilities
  • household supplies
  • health care not covered by public health care (extra benefits paid by the government to low-income people or others in need)

Newbie051907

May 10, 2022
Thanks for your reply.
Is this still social assistance if the benefits are helping house rent (up to $500) for people who work and their income is lower than $50,000 per year???

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey there did you ever get a response for this?
It is usually not considered social assistance but to sponsor your family there is no income requirement but you must be able to show that you can support them without government help. There could be concern that you will not be able to support your family given your current income. If you already need rental assistance and will be adding more family member to your household there could be concerns about how you will manage to support these extra people when they come to Canada. If your spouse has a job lined up to work in a Canada for example I would include that information.

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
It is usually not considered social assistance but to sponsor your family there is no income requirement but you must be able to show that you can support them without government help. There could be concern that you will not be able to support your family given your current income. If you already need rental assistance and will be adding more family member to your household there could be concerns about how you will manage to support these extra people when they come to Canada. If your spouse has a job lined up to work in a Canada for example I would include that information.
Thank you @canuck78, I have a few years before applying for family. My concern came about as I will be applying for citizenship in a few years. I will be off rent subsidy in a few months. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: canuck78