+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Home Support Worker Pilot

Ernesto1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
Hello guys, plse I need some help.
I'm helping a friend to submit her HSW pilot outside Canada. She has 3 dependent children below 18yrs outside Canada: 5yrs, 7yrs, 17yrs.
1) Does she need to complete an Open study permit application for all children? Also without DLI number the study permit forms cannot be validated and she doesn't know the school her minors will be attending.
2) Secondly with the application fees, is it okay to pay the PR+biometric fees separately, and then work permit+study permit fees separately
Please advise. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello guys, plse I need some help.
I'm helping a friend to submit her HSW pilot outside Canada. She has 3 dependent children below 18yrs outside Canada: 5yrs, 7yrs, 17yrs.
1) Does she need to complete an Open study permit application for all children? Also without DLI number the study permit forms cannot be validated and she doesn't know the school her minors will be attending.
2) Secondly with the application fees, is it okay to pay the PR+biometric fees separately, and then work permit+study permit fees separately
Please advise. Thanks
1. Yes. What grade is the 17 year old in? Most likely (processing will take a long time), the 17 year old will need to apply to a post secondary school, gain admission, pay international fees and apply for a study permit. Est. $25k per year. She keeps it blank as she doesn’t know DLI.
2. PR and work permit is paid separately (see link).

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

Ernesto1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
17yr old child is in grade 11 equivalent. Does child still need to gain admission into post secondary school? leaving the DLI portion black mean no need to validate the study permit form?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
17yr old child is in grade 11 equivalent. Does child still need to gain admission into post secondary school? leaving the DLI portion black mean no need to validate the study permit form?
17 year old can apply for a study permit as high school student. However due to long processing timelines, it may be refused as student will no longer be in high school within the year. PR needs to be finalized before child graduates from high school.

If the child does not get PR before high school graduation and wants to study in Canada, the child will need admission to post-secondary and apply for study permit showing tuition paid and the ability to afford a post-secondary education.

If the child doesn’t not want to study in Canada following high school. The child can get a visitor visa.

Last edited:

Ernesto1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
17 year old can apply for a study permit as high school student. However due to long processing timelines, it may be refused as student will no longer be in high school within the year. PR needs to be finalized before child graduates from high school.

If the child does not get PR before high school graduation and wants to study in Canada, the child will need admission to post-secondary and apply for study permit showing tuition paid and the ability to afford a post-secondary education.

If the child doesn’t not want to study in Canada following high school. The child can get a visitor visa.
Thank you for your reply.
If understand your last sentence well, accompanying minors can apply for open visitors visa tied to the validity of the Principal visa that allows minors to attend preschool, elementary school, high school?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply.
If understand your last sentence well, accompanying minors can apply for open visitors visa tied to the validity of the Principal visa that allows minors to attend preschool, elementary school, high school?
All 3 children apply for study permits. The issue is the 17 year old who will no longer be a high school student and a minor. And if the child want to remain in Canada (unless PR is approved within a year) will either have to gain admission to a college or university and apply for a study permit and pay international fees. Or stay in Canada as a visitor (extend every 6 months) but can’t work or study until a PR. The child may not have access to healthcare either but not sure.

Ernesto1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
All 3 children apply for study permits. The issue is the 17 year old who will no longer be a high school student and a minor. And if the child want to remain in Canada (unless PR is approved within a year) will either have to gain admission to a college or university and apply for a study permit and pay international fees. Or stay in Canada as a visitor (extend every 6 months) but can’t work or study until a PR. The child may not have access to healthcare either but not sure.
I think it will be better for the dependent 17yr old apply for TRV-Visitors visa since he will turn 18yr/19yrs by he time PR is approve.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I think it will be better for the dependent 17yr old apply for TRV-Visitors visa since he will turn 18yr/19yrs by he time PR is approve.
Sure. The 17 year old will not be able to work or study in Canada until he/she has PR. Not sure how you get PR in a year. Doesn’t the person need two years of Canadian experience first and then obtain PR, and processing times are at least a year. Child will be almost 21 or 22.

Ernesto1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
Sure. The 17 year old will not be able to work or study in Canada until he/she has PR. Not sure how you get PR in a year. Doesn’t the person need two years of Canadian experience first and then obtain PR, and processing times are at least a year. Child will be almost 21 or 22.
The other thing is, I paid for study permit fees for 3 dependents and have a receipt. Since the 17yr old dependent will be applying visitor visa, can I ask the reviewing officer to process one of the study permit application fees as TRV visitor visa fees even though I already paid for study permit fees?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The other thing is, I paid for study permit fees for 3 dependents and have a receipt. Since the 17yr old dependent will be applying visitor visa, can I ask the reviewing officer to process one of the study permit application fees as TRV visitor visa fees even though I already paid for study permit fees?
Do you think your friend will get approved to come to Canada on a work permit prior to her child completing high school? If so, the child would not withdraw the study permit as the child could finish high school in Canada. If the child then decides to attend post-secondary and once in Canada, change the conditions of the permit from secondary to post-secondary. Child would pay international fees.

I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit? (cic.gc.ca)

You will need to ask IRCC but you can't just ask an officer to change to a visitor visa. You would need to withdraw the study permit application and reapply for a TRV. Again confirm with IRCC before doing anything.

Ernesto1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
Do you think your friend will get approved to come to Canada on a work permit prior to her child completing high school? If so, the child would not withdraw the study permit as the child could finish high school in Canada. If the child then decides to attend post-secondary and once in Canada, change the conditions of the permit from secondary to post-secondary. Child would pay international fees.

I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit? (cic.gc.ca)

You will need to ask IRCC but you can't just ask an officer to change to a visitor visa. You would need to withdraw the study permit application and reapply for a TRV. Again confirm with IRCC before doing anything.
The application has not been submitted yet. It's just that the fees for the study permit $150 × 3dependents=$450 that was paid online with receipt printed. So now one of the dependent who is 17yr decided to submit visitors visa not study permit, due to anticipation that accompanying parent work permit will be approve after completion of high school. This makes the payment of $150 overpayment, since visitors visa is $100.
In this case I'm asking if it's okay submit the application with the application fee payment receipt with explanation of that overpayment? I called ircc agent number no response.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The application has not been submitted yet. It's just that the fees for the study permit $150 × 3dependents=$450 that was paid online with receipt printed. So now one of the dependent who is 17yr decided to submit visitors visa not study permit, due to anticipation that accompanying parent work permit will be approve after completion of high school. This makes the payment of $150 overpayment, since visitors visa is $100.
In this case I'm asking if it's okay submit the application with the application fee payment receipt with explanation of that overpayment? I called ircc agent number no response.
You ask for a refund for the one study permit (link below). You then pay for the visitor visa and submit applications for 2 study permits and one TRV.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=619&top=4