+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV+ UK citizen applying via express entry

NewSteps

Nov 29, 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking to enter Canada via the express entry scheme. It's early days as I still need to get my IELTS test done and setup up an Express Entry profile. I've held off doing either, because of the fact I'm HIV+. I've searched google, read forums and even reached out to CATIE to ask for advice twice (I never got a reply back).

My background is that I'm married, my partner will be coming with me and is also HIV+. We're both healthy, good CD4 count and undetectable viral load.

My understanding is that the condition itself doesn't prevent us visiting or working temporarily, but for permanent residency I'd be rejected on the grounds of being 'medically inadmissible' due to the perceived costs of the antiretroviral drugs.

I want from to hear from other HIV+ people that have successfully immigrated to Canada via Express Entry. What was the process like for you? Did you get confronted with the 'medically inadmissible' letter, if so, how did you deal with that part of the process?

My final question is how to sort out the medical insurance if/when being granted residency. Being in the UK the NHS has just always been there when I needed it. It's a little unclear how HIV+ people immigrating into Canada go about a) sorting out insurance and b) funding their treatment. I think some employers offer medical cover, but does that mean you have to tell a prospective employer about your status when they offer you the job?

Thanks! :)