+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV+ hoping to get advice on Work Permit Application

markhopescan

Jan 28, 2024
Dear all,

This is Marc, 34 years old male, IT professional with Bachelors and Masters Degree in Computing.
I am living with HIV since Jan 2023 and now I am HIV undetectable with good CD4 count and good health condition. My HIV is under control by the daily ART drug Dovato (Dolutegravir and Lamivudine) which costs around 1,000 CAD per month or much cheaper if I buy it in my home country.

I was planning to move to Canada with a Work Permit under EE/FSW and later obtain a PR, but now I'm not even sure if I can still get a Work Permit with my HIV condition.

Will my Work Permit application (apply from outside Canada) be rejected due to medical check failure? Or has anyone managed to obtain a Work Permit wth similar situation?

I would really appreciate if someone can shed some lights to me.

Thank you so much
Marc

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear all,

This is Marc, 34 years old male, IT professional with Bachelors and Masters Degree in Computing.
I am living with HIV since Jan 2023 and now I am HIV undetectable with good CD4 count and good health condition. My HIV is under control by the daily ART drug Dovato (Dolutegravir and Lamivudine) which costs around 1,000 CAD per month or much cheaper if I buy it in my home country.

I was planning to move to Canada with a Work Permit under EE/FSW and later obtain a PR, but now I'm not even sure if I can still get a Work Permit with my HIV condition.

Will my Work Permit application (apply from outside Canada) be rejected due to medical check failure? Or has anyone managed to obtain a Work Permit wth similar situation?

Thank you so much
Marc
HIV should not cause issue if you pass the medical. What work permit are you eligible for?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

Thank you so much
Marc
Canada generallly looks to make sure your viral load is undetectable, that you have a drug regimen, that your drug regimen and any other medical issues your have cost less than around 20k/year. As a temporary resident your ability to access medical care can be a factor. There is a shortage of physicians and in some areas of the country accessing care can be very difficult. If you have a job offer that includes extended benefit program where pharmacare would be included I would highlight that on your application. The cost of your drug treatment would then not fall to the province if they have a program that gives you access to HIV medications. Not all provinces do. There are many HIV+ applicants. If your skills are in need that will also be prioritized.

markhopescan

Jan 28, 2024
Canada generallly looks to make sure your viral load is undetectable, that you have a drug regimen, that your drug regimen and any other medical issues your have cost less than around 20k/year. As a temporary resident your ability to access medical care can be a factor. There is a shortage of physicians and in some areas of the country accessing care can be very difficult. If you have a job offer that includes extended benefit program where pharmacare would be included I would highlight that on your application. The cost of your drug treatment would then not fall to the province if they have a program that gives you access to HIV medications. Not all provinces do. There are many HIV+ applicants. If your skills are in need that will also be prioritized.
Thank you Canuck78.

Yes, I dont mind covering my own medication and I can bear the cost myself.
I was just worried if HIV will be a factor to fail my work permit medical...even though it is under good control now.