+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Here 2 years, working 1.5, should i go for PR?

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Hi there,
I have been living in Canada almost 2 years now.
I came on an open work permit for 1 year. I found work as a software engineer and got a positive LMO and now have a 3 year work permit for my current employer. I have been working with them for 1.5 years now.

My question stems from this, I would like to maybe move around Canada now, maybe out to Ontario, but I don't want to have to try and get work on the hope that some employer will wait on a positive LMO to hire me, when they can hire a Canadian and have them start work tomorrow.

How can I get an unrestricted work permit?
Should I apply for PR?
Does PR mean I can live and work anywhere in Canada?
I essentially wnat to be able to live an work as I please without going all the way through to becoming a citizen (just yet). Is it possible to do so?

Any help or opinions are much appreciated,
Denis

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
1) You can work for anyone once you become PR.
2) It is upto you if you want to apply for PR (applying would help in your case).
3) Yes, you can live and work anywhere in Canada (some restrictions apply when considering federal or quebec immigration).
4) Yes, you can do that, you can just be a PR without becoming citizen (though you would have to maintain PR status).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it's possible. The best option for you would probably be to wait another 6 months and then apply through CEC. You can use the 6 months to start looking at the application forms and find the information you need for them but do check before you apply that the forms haven't changed in the meantime. You can look at FSW applications if you don't want to wait 6 months too but CEC is a little bit less hassle and easier to qualify for.

As a PR, you can work and live anywhere in Canada (says so in the charter of rights and freedoms). You do not have to become a citizen but it is possible to lose your PR again, if you commit a serious crime or if you leave Canada for more than total 3 years in a 5 year period.

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for the info guys, this really helps me a lot.

So I apply for PR in 6 months when I have 2 full years employment under the Canadian experience class.
1) How long will that take to process?
When it comes through,
2) Do I just have PR status, or is it that I have it for 5 years? What I'm trying to ask is whether or not there is an expiry on it. (taking for granted that I will stay for at least 2 of every 5 year period for the next 20 years)

And finally, I then apply for a new open work permit,
3) Could I just ask for this when I re enter the country? (as I return home every summer for a couple of weeks.)
4) Is there an expiration on that? or is it just always valid as long as I have valid PR status?

Thanks again

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
1) There is no exact timeline for now but anywhere between 6 - 12 months.
2) You will have to renew your PR status after every 5 years (for that you would have to stay in Canada for atleast 2 years).
3, 4) You do not need to apply for a work permit after you become PR. Your PR status (immigrant visa) will allow you to do anything (work, study, visit) as long as it valid.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not actually renew your PR status every 5 years, you renew your PR card every 5 years. To renew your PR card, you must be in Canada at the time and you must have lived in Canada at least 730 days (2 years) in the previous 5 years. If your PR card expires but you meet the residency requirements, your PR status is still valid. If you stay in Canada, you do not actually need to renew your PR card. You need it mostly for travel and occasionally to prove your PR status if somebody asks. Same way, you can lose your PR status even though you have a valid PR card, say if you stay away too long.

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Hi guys,
I want to bring this back up again as I close in on the 2 yr work experience mark.
I will send my PR application for CEC class in Jan. Lets assume it takes 6 months to process.

If I were to want to change jobs in the new year, can I work anywhere or am I still required to get an LMO?
i.e. Do I have implied PR Status once I have sent away for it?

Thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no "implied PR status" for CEC. The only persons who have anything of the sort are inland application spouses and live-in caregivers who are granted a 1st stage approval after about 6 months and can then get an open work permit. CEC is a lot faster than those applications so you will probably have your PR already by 6 months. While you wait, you are still a temporary worker and you still need to get a new work permit if you want a new job.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The waiting time gives you no special benefits at all. Until you are actually a PR there is no difference because of having applied.

rasher83 said:
Could I start my own business during the waiting time to get CEC?

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
Hi there,
I am in a very similar situation as you, only a few months behind, I came to Canada on a work visa in April 08' & now my work is sponsoring me for 2 more years but that runs out March 2011, I was going to apply for PR & had most of the paperwork ready to go but I made a call & found out that I can't apply for PR until I have worked at my job for 2 years.

I have worked for my employers for 2 years in May 2010, So now am in the process of sponsorship again & am just waiting to hear back from my employers if they will or not.

I was just wondering how things went with you?
Thanks