+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Send notarized copies or originals with official translation?

KSTelAviv

Aug 5, 2009
Israel
Hi,

I am almost ready to send in my application package to sponsor my husband. This will be an outland application.
I am a canadian citizen (born and raised). We were married in Canada 5 years ago and have been living in Israel ever since (because he was in University) and are now ready to return.

Anyways, on the country specific instructions for Israel, Appendix A, the document checklist says "Send notarized photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise.... If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized translation with a copy of the originals. These must be done by an official translator".

My question is, can I submit originals with an official (certified) translation instead of a notarized translation with notarized copy of original?

I have 3 documents that are not in English that would need to be translated

1. His original police clearance
2. original Military clearance papers
3. Birth certificate (you don't need to submit the original right? So can I submit a notarized copy with the official translation?)

Apart from the birth certificate, if I send originals, do these need to be notarized?
In Canada, a notarized copy is only to certify that the document is a true copy of the original (I'm the daughter of a lawyer). So, if I send originals, I don't see why they need to be notarized.

The reason I don't want to notarize the documents is that in Israel, they charge approx $100 to notarize each page and $10 to translate the document. The cost of replacing the originals would be $10.

Thanks for your words of wisedom!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
You have to send the original police clearance together with a official translation done by authorised (licenced) translator. No need to notorize again.
Regarding Military clearnce and birth certicates better to send copies translated.
You need to send the original only if they ask for it.

KSTelAviv said:
Hi,

I am almost ready to send in my application package to sponsor my husband. This will be an outland application.
I am a canadian citizen (born and raised). We were married in Canada 5 years ago and have been living in Israel ever since (because he was in University) and are now ready to return.

Anyways, on the country specific instructions for Israel, Appendix A, the document checklist says "Send notarized photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise.... If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized translation with a copy of the originals. These must be done by an official translator".

My question is, can I submit originals with an official (certified) translation instead of a notarized translation with notarized copy of original?

I have 3 documents that are not in English that would need to be translated

1. His original police clearance
2. original Military clearance papers
3. Birth certificate (you don't need to submit the original right? So can I submit a notarized copy with the official translation?)

Apart from the birth certificate, if I send originals, do these need to be notarized?
In Canada, a notarized copy is only to certify that the document is a true copy of the original (I'm the daughter of a lawyer). So, if I send originals, I don't see why they need to be notarized.

The reason I don't want to notarize the documents is that in Israel, they charge approx $100 to notarize each page and $10 to translate the document. The cost of replacing the originals would be $10.

Thanks for your words of wisedom!

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just send notarized copies (along with translation) .
Even with the police clearance....we never send the original. Just a notarized translation along with a copy.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
Even with the police clearance....we never send the original. Just a notarized translation along with a copy.
WHAT??!! Sorry, but that is very bad advice. They specifically tell you to send ORIGINAL police certificates. I would be very surprised if they did not ask you for the original.

KSTelAviv: They generally do not ask for NOTARIZED photocopies but in the country specific guidelines for Israel they specifically request these, so save yourself the risk of having your application sent back or delayed as they ask you re-submit these things. Just do what they say and follow the instructions. This is what I would do:

1. Police certificate - send original + notarized translation
2. military record - send notarized copy + notarized translation
3. birth certificate - notarized copy + notarized translation

You are doing the notarizing in each case for a different reason. One to notarize that the copy is a true representation of the original and 2nd, that the translation is a true translation.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
yes, police certificates must be originals
good luck

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ariell said:
nguyentu2001 said:
WHAT??!! Sorry, but that is very bad advice. They specifically tell you to send ORIGINAL police certificates. I would be very surprised if they did not ask you for the original.

KSTelAviv: They generally do not ask for NOTARIZED photocopies but in the country specific guidelines for Israel they specifically request these, so save yourself the risk of having your application sent back or delayed as they ask you re-submit these things. Just do what they say and follow the instructions. This is what I would do:

1. Police certificate - send original + notarized translation
2. military record - send notarized copy + notarized translation
3. birth certificate - notarized copy + notarized translation

You are doing the notarizing in each case for a different reason. One to notarize that the copy is a true representation of the original and 2nd, that the translation is a true translation.
haha relax ariell.....in my country that the way it works. Even when i sent application out for my wife...notarized/translated by Vietnamese government is more than enough. I did that twice...for my permanent residence process and for my wife's PR application. Please keep in mind that PPC from Vietnam is in Vietnamese therefore notarized/translated one is considered sufficient.

No offense, Ariell!haha i did not intend to piss you off or anything haha so just relax. I just followed instructions for my region.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
haha relax ariell.....in my country that the way it works. Even when i sent application out for my wife...notarized/translated by Vietnamese government is more than enough. I did that twice...for my permanent residence process and for my wife's PR application. Please keep in mind that PPC from Vietnam is in Vietnamese therefore notarized/translated one is considered sufficient.

No offense, Ariell!haha i did not intend to piss you off or anything haha so just relax. I just followed instructions for my region.
You didn't piss me off. I was just very surprised that someone would suggest that you send in a copy of a police certificate when they clearly ask you for originals, even in the country-specific instructions for Vietnam. They even bold it for you so that you can't miss it: " You must attach the original police document(s). "