+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! PR Stuck in Canada & Can't Get Travel Documents!

Garang Ji

May 14, 2017
I'm a 20 year PR for who hasn't traveled outside Canada since coming here. An unfortunate situation has arisen and I need to travel back to Malaysia to see my family. I'm unable to get a Malaysian passport because I don't have a Malay identification card. The only way to get one is to be physically present at one of their registration offices. So instead I had to get my travel documents from Canada.

I called to explain my precarious situation and was told to apply for a PR Card and a "travel document", which I recently found out was a Certificate of Identity. Just today I read on the cigc site that it "is not valid for travel to the bearer’s country of citizenship."

So how am I supposed to go to Malaysia to see my family and get the document I need for a passport? I already bought plane tickets not knowing this complication existed. I followed all the steps given to me by the government call center people so I didn't expect this to occur.

Does anybody know what my options are in this situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't board the airplane without a travel document - which is a passport. The PR card is not a travel document and can't be substituted for a passport. Have you contacted the High Commission of Malaysia in Ottawa to confirm they can't issue the card to you here?

Reactions: Garang Ji

Garang Ji

May 14, 2017
I have not contacted the high commission in Ottawa. I've only contacted the Malaysian consulate general office and they told me I have to go to Malaysia to obtain the required documents.

I will contact the high commission office tomorrow to see what they can do.