+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Only 2 months left in Canada work permit.

pranavp2810

Apr 8, 2020
I applied for the PGWP extension back in Oct 2022. My work permit was to expire in Dec 2022 and I had received an email in Aug 2022 saying that I may qualify for the 18 month extension, and I had met all the criteria, but now the application has just finished processing and I was given only until May 2023. I graduated during COVID and got my PGWP then, but with countless job applications over months of searching, I failed to secure a job, so I went back to India in Dec 2020 as I needed a support system for my mental health during the hard times, and staying in Canada became too expensive. While in India, I did some certifications and applied for countless jobs in my field in Canada, and eventually I got a few interviews but did not meet the skill level required. In Aug 2020, I got an email saying I may qualify for the 18 month extension, so I came back to Canada and applied for it. I was able to get a full-time sales job at a telecom company here in Dec 2022 and have been working there since. I am doing well here and they like me as I am a hard worker, and it took me a long time to find a job. It was my hope to be able to get PR during the 18 month extension using NLPNP or AIP in Newfoundland. But now all I have is 2 months and the job I currently have is a NOC TEER 4 job and it is not a designated employer for AIP.

- Is there any way to appeal the decision of the case officer?

- Should I reapply for a work permit extension and hope a new case officer makes a different decision?

- What are my options with only 2 months left? Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied for the PGWP extension back in Oct 2022. My work permit was to expire in Dec 2022 and I had received an email in Aug 2022 saying that I may qualify for the 18 month extension, and I had met all the criteria, but now the application has just finished processing and I was given only until May 2023. I graduated during COVID and got my PGWP then, but with countless job applications over months of searching, I failed to secure a job, so I went back to India in Dec 2020 as I needed a support system for my mental health during the hard times, and staying in Canada became too expensive. While in India, I did some certifications and applied for countless jobs in my field in Canada, and eventually I got a few interviews but did not meet the skill level required. In Aug 2020, I got an email saying I may qualify for the 18 month extension, so I came back to Canada and applied for it. I was able to get a full-time sales job at a telecom company here in Dec 2022 and have been working there since. I am doing well here and they like me as I am a hard worker, and it took me a long time to find a job. It was my hope to be able to get PR during the 18 month extension using NLPNP or AIP in Newfoundland. But now all I have is 2 months and the job I currently have is a NOC TEER 4 job and it is not a designated employer for AIP.

- Is there any way to appeal the decision of the case officer?

- Should I reapply for a work permit extension and hope a new case officer makes a different decision?

- What are my options with only 2 months left? Please advise.
Thik your dates are wrong. Believe you mean August 2022 and not 2020. How many years of PGWP did you have? When was you PGWP supposed to end? The fact that you only returned in December 2022 and were outside Canada for 2 years was not a good use of PGWP time. If you only returned to Canada somtime between August and December 2022 due to the possibility of potentially getting a PGWP extension what was yourplan had you not got d the email?

Reactions: Kayne