+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! New Passport expiry while PR/Open work permit Application has old expiry

DJSanty919

Apr 26, 2015
Hello!

I need some advice with regards to my PR and Open work permit application. I applied for renewal of my Passport on March then submitted my application for PR and open work permit on April. The new Passport will arrive around July or August which is not a problem since my old passport will expire October. The problem is with my PR and open work permit application. I submitted it on paper form and currently on the website it will take more than 100 days for the work permit and 44 months for the PR. I am worried that this will actually pose a problem with my stay here. I did read about the implied status info but I still have a few concerns:

1. Since I will have a new passport, what or who should I contact to let them know about the new expiry on the PR application? Should I submit an pay for a new application package again?

2. What if my work permit has already expired while I am waiting for my PR/work permit application to be processed?

I hope someone would be able to clarify to me on what I should do.

Thank you

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DJSanty919 said:
1. Since I will have a new passport, what or who should I contact to let them know about the new expiry on the PR application? Should I submit an pay for a new application package again?
You should contact or send an update to your PR application to your processing office (CPC Vegreville?). Have you received any acknowledgement containing details of your application?
2. What if my work permit has already expired while I am waiting for my PR/work permit application to be processed?
As long as you have submitted the WP application before the expiry of your current one, you fall under implied status and can continue to work for your current employer till you get results of the application back.

Relevant topics are here - (I am assuming this is a PR/OWP application under LIC?) - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5290ETOC.asp#appendixA
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip04-eng.pdf

If the applicant’s temporary resident status is valid at the time of their application for an open work permit, the caregiver’s status as a worker will continue under the same conditions until their application for an open work permit is finalized and they have been notified of a decision (“implied status”)

.../hth

DJSanty919

Apr 26, 2015
With regards to question #1. I have not received any confirmation yet from Vegreville. Though I am aware that my application has been received because of the tracking number from the courier. That is what I am worried about. They are still processing on the papers submitted way back january and I am afraid it will take a long while before they start processing mine. How will I contact the VO or let them know that I have new passport?