+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed: Adding common law partner to PR application in progress

us2canada123

Jul 26, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am an Indian citizen currently living in the US. I have an existing FSW-O PR application in progress (AoR Jan 2nd 2021, MEP/BIL March 2021).
Meanwhile I also applied for a closed work permit in May 2021 and got the approval in June 2021. I will be moving to Canada from the US in Aug 2021 as a temporary worker.

Unfortunately, I applied as Single in both those applications (PR and WP) because I did not know about the common law partner definition. My girlfriend and I have been living together since Feb 2020, hence by definition, we were in a common law partnership during my WP application in May 2021 (but not my PR application in Dec 2020).

Now, I wish to add my girlfriend to the existing PR application as my common law partner and will be able to provide proof for the same. I can raise a webform for this, adding that my girlfriend and I have entered a common law partnership in Feb 2021 (after the PR application). However, I'm concerned whether the application for my work permit (which I have already received) will be considered misrepresentation because I applied as Single in May 2021.

I see a couple of options to explain this in the webform to add the partner:
1. Be honest about everything, saying that I did not know about the common law partner definition until recently, hence I applied for WP as Single.
2. Avoid mentioning the WP altogether, just add the partner to the PR.

Any suggestions here will be great, thank you in advance!

Reactions: sriram17293

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I don't know why you'd "avoid mentioning the WP altogether" since anyone who opens your file at IRCC will see the work permit. Do 1.

us2canada123

Jul 26, 2021
I don't know why you'd "avoid mentioning the WP altogether" since anyone who opens your file at IRCC will see the work permit. Do 1.
Thank you! Any idea if "not knowing the definition of common law partnership" is a valid reason for failure to disclose it?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you! Any idea if "not knowing the definition of common law partnership" is a valid reason for failure to disclose it?
As it is what you've said happened, I don't know why you would make up an alternate explanation. Don't lie. Tell them the truth. Not knowing that 1 year of cohabitation = common law is a relatively common occurrence.