+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help:My study permit expires soon, but am I able to stay a little longer or not.

Masamark182

Apr 6, 2016
Hello. I am an exchange student in Ontario from Japan, and my study permit expires on the 30th of April, but I booked my flight home on 3rd of May.

I initially planned to travel around Canada or The United States after my school time, but I realized that I had to leave Canada before 4/30 since my school ends on that date.

Regarding my case, I have following two questions.

1. After my study permit expires, can I stay in Canada until my flight back home as a temporary resident (Visitor Visa), since Japan is one of TRV exempt countries, or do I have to apply for a visitor visa to stay until my flight back.

2. Is is possible to leave Canada for The United States before the 30th of April, when my study permit expires, for a visiting purpose and come back in time in Canada as a visitor to catch my flight back to Japan. Or do I have to apply for another visitor in this case as well.

Thank you.

AmandeepRCIC

Apr 24, 2016
Hello,

The expiry of the study permit depends on one of the two things:
1. The actual expiry date on the permit;
2. The completion of your program of study (expires after 90 days of confirmation of graduation, usually when the marks are posted on the institution`s website).

As you are from a visa exempt country you can always obtain an eTA and travel to Canada regardless of your expired study permit. The expiry on your study permit only prohibits you from studying in Canada after the posted date. Given the date you are planning to leave is within a week of the expiry date of your study permit seems to be a non-issue and until and unless someone is under a removal order, I do not see any problem in your situation.

Regards,
Amandeep