+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help in Form CIT 0177 (Residence Outside Canada)

Billl

Apr 30, 2018
Hi Everybody
I need help to understand the form CIT 0177 (Residence Outside Canada). I am filling up my application and it is asking me to fill and submit CIT 0177 because I spent some time outside Canada during my last five years. What I cant understand is, I was not outside Canada as "Crown Employee". I was in my own personal capacity. This form has two sections and both are related to "Crown Employment". One is for "Crown Employed Applicant" and other is "Family member of Crown Employed Applicant.". I dont fit in both sections because I was not employed by any Canadian Employer. How should I fill this form?
Thanks

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Hi Everybody
I need help to understand the form CIT 0177 (Residence Outside Canada). I am filling up my application and it is asking me to fill and submit CIT 0177 because I spent some time outside Canada during my last five years. What I cant understand is, I was not outside Canada as "Crown Employee". I was in my own personal capacity. This form has two sections and both are related to "Crown Employment". One is for "Crown Employed Applicant" and other is "Family member of Crown Employed Applicant.". I dont fit in both sections because I was not employed by any Canadian Employer. How should I fill this form?
Thanks
A quick search in this forum will get you the information you are looking for but here is the recommended approach -
Mark question 9c as Yes, fill in your name etc in CIT 0177, mark all other fields as Not Applicable. This will ensure you meet the letter of the instructions. You may additionally include a letter stating that you or your spouse wasn't a Crown Servant but you filled the form to comply with instructions.

Anecdote (just FYI) - I filled in No for 9c (it was early days with the new form and I took it upon me to understand the spirit of the question based on the instructions in the Help) and I am a proud Canadian. The answer didn't trip me up during the process but if I were to fill the form today, I would do what I recommended above.

Reactions: dpenabill

vanmover

Jan 31, 2015
I'm in the same situation and I agree with the above. I'm going to fill out what I can on the form and submit it with my application and attach a note explaining that it doesn't apply to me, but I've filled it out anyway to be compliant.

I wonder if this form is more for people who want to be about to count the days they were resident outside of Canada in their physical presence total?

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
I'm in the same situation and I agree with the above. I'm going to fill out what I can on the form and submit it with my application and attach a note explaining that it doesn't apply to me, but I've filled it out anyway to be compliant.

I wonder if this form is more for people who want to be about to count the days they were resident outside of Canada in their physical presence total?
Yes (the answer to your question). It's for claiming credit towards physical presence.