+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! if I still not recieving my Study Permit Extension decision could I apply me PGWP after I graduate(next week)?

BryanZ

Oct 15, 2022
Please help! I am waiting for my Study Permit Extension inside Canada for over 6 months without any processing and it has even not been reviewed by now.

The thing is I will graduate within a week.

How can I supply my PGWP without the previous case being finished?
Could I?

CherAmie

Mar 23, 2022
Please help! I am waiting for my Study Permit Extension inside Canada for over 6 months without any processing and it has even not been reviewed by now.

The thing is I will graduate within a week.

How can I supply my PGWP without the previous case being finished?
Could I?
Yes, you can have more than one application in process. When they finally get to processing your applications, they will process them in order. Mine were backlogged for several years and then when they finally processed them, they were done about 2 weeks apart in the order they were submitted. Assuming that you applied for your Study Permit Extension before your last study permit expired, you should be in 'maintained' status right now as a Student with ability to Work under the same conditions as are listed on that last permit. There is also a Temporary policy in play right now allowing students to work more than the usual 20 hours/week while attending school (see IRCC's website for details). When you graduate, you are then also eligible to apply for a PGWP regardless of IRCC's backlog. I would definitely apply for the PGWP as soon as you have all the requirements done & gathered. The submission of the PGWP ahead of the completion of your still-in-progress Study Permit Extension, might get them processing both more quickly. And, by applying for the PGWP you are able to remain in Canada while they process that application. I would provide a letter of explanation with my PGWP application that you have a Study Permit Ext application in progress, studied & completed your degree under 'maintained' status, and now, having graduated, are now applying for a PGWP. Best wishes.