+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP for a new Work Permit Application

Fiona19

Jun 3, 2011
Hello,

I wonder if you can help me with some questions about a Work permit application. I just received a job offer here in Vancouver, they want me to start on July 16th but I just want to make sure that I followed the right process.
I am a Mexican citizen living in Vancouver, got married last year with a Canadian citizen and we applied for my Sponsorship PR last May 1st from outside Canada via Mexico City. We are still waiting for the sponsor approval which might be done by the end of August. So far my status in Canada is as a Visitor valid until October 12th, 2012.

Last Thursday I applied on- line for a new work permit using the forms to Change my Conditions or Extend my stay in Canada according with the CIC web page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/work.asp
According with the processing times now for a work permit is taking 32 days or so, what happen if the Job offer states the start day on July 16th? Is there any chance to get it faster.

I have been reading that as a mexican citizen I can apply for a work permit at the port of entry. Now I am confuse if what I did was the best choice or if should apply directly at the port of entry.

I hope that you can help me with any comment.

Thanks,

Judith

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Not an expert, but here are my takes on your queries.

Fiona19 said:
Hello,

I wonder if you can help me with some questions about a Work permit application. I just received a job offer here in Vancouver, they want me to start on July 16th but I just want to make sure that I followed the right process.
I am a Mexican citizen living in Vancouver, got married last year with a Canadian citizen and we applied for my Sponsorship PR last May 1st from outside Canada via Mexico City. We are still waiting for the sponsor approval which might be done by the end of August. So far my status in Canada is as a Visitor valid until October 12th, 2012.

Last Thursday I applied on- line for a new work permit using the forms to Change my Conditions or Extend my stay in Canada according with the CIC web page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/work.asp Doubtful that you sent your WP app to the proper office; initial WPs should be applied for outside Canada. Do you have a positive LMO?
According with the processing times now for a work permit is taking 32 days or so, what happen if the Job offer states the start day on July 16th? Is there any chance to get it faster. No, it gets processed as soon as they get to your application; you can't jump the queue just because the job offer starts soon.

I have been reading that as a mexican citizen I can apply for a work permit at the port of entry. Now I am confuse if what I did was the best choice or if should apply directly at the port of entry. Do you need a visa to enter Canada? If you don't then you can bring the job offer/contract/LMO to the closest border.

I hope that you can help me with any comment.

Thanks,

Judith

Fiona19

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for your reply,

Regarding the LMO, since I am a mexican citizen I am cover by the NAFTA agreement and not LMOs are needed for the work permit.

I do have a visitor visa which expires on October 12th, 2012. What are you mentioned is not everyone can go to the port of entry and request a work permit...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Fiona19 said:
Thanks for your reply,

Regarding the LMO, since I am a mexican citizen I am cover by the NAFTA agreement and not LMOs are needed for the work permit.
Have you doubled checked that you fall under NAFTA? NAFTA doesn't cover all US and Mexican citizens by default. In many cases you still need an LMO.