+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help… stressed about OWP and maintained status

Apr 16, 2021
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I recently applied for his PR (inland application, I am sponsoring him).

We received the AOR and are now set to apply for his first open work permit. His visa will reach the 6 month mark in just over 30 days…

Will applying for this OWP give him maintained status until we get the approval or do we also need to apply for a visa extension?

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Stressed & Pregnant ❤

AJokersDream

Star Member
Dec 10, 2023
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I recently applied for his PR (inland application, I am sponsoring him).

We received the AOR and are now set to apply for his first open work permit. His visa will reach the 6 month mark in just over 30 days…

Will applying for this OWP give him maintained status until we get the approval or do we also need to apply for a visa extension?

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Stressed & Pregnant ❤

Sraeji

May 8, 2021
I think you need visa only if you want to travel outside and come back right? Instead doesn’t he need visitor record? If he was already holding work permit I think then he has implied status . I am not a lawyer I am just sharing what I think is correct.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
This is one of the commonly asked questions on this forum: try a search and you will find a lot of discussion.

Long story short, applying for OWP gives maintained status. Otherwise, apply for visitor record 30 days before the current visitor status expires.