+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hearing Postponed under expedited policy

Armany101

Mar 22, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I am from Afghanistan and crossed into Canada from USA. My hearing was scheduled in December 2017. In November 2017, I received a letter from IRB that my asylum case will be processed under expedited policy. Then I received another letter close to my hearing date that my refugee hearing is postponed for operational reasons. It is now three months that I have not heard anything. Knowing that there is alot of rush of people seeking asylum, I have two questions:
1. Does the expedited policy make any difference. I know there are people waiting for years for a hearing but are there people under expedited policy who have to wait for more than a year (or years)?
2. Are there other Afghans, Iraqis, Syrians, Eritreans etc. who are waiting for longer than a year.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I suspect (but can’t co firm) that with the recent changes to the processing of oldest applications first, the expedited processing that helped create the backlog will be redundant. Only exception cases will be processed in an expedited manner. You should probably be prepared for about a 1.5-2 year wait for your hearing.

Armany101

Mar 22, 2018
I suspect (but can’t co firm) that with the recent changes to the processing of oldest applications first, the expedited processing that helped create the backlog will be redundant. Only exception cases will be processed in an expedited manner. You should probably be prepared for about a 1.5-2 year wait for your hearing.
Thank you for your response and the heads up to prepare for a longer wait. If what you are saying is true, it would indeed make the expedited policy redundant. However, on the other side, expedite policy brings efficiency because those claimants coming from countries under expedited policy has over 90% acceptance rate. Keeping those in limbo who will ultimately be accepted as credible cases is a lost opportunity for the claimants and the government. Anyhow, lets hope that things get better at least for those who are coming here with a credible hope of safety.

IbrarHakim

Aug 12, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I am from Afghanistan and crossed into Canada from USA. My hearing was scheduled in December 2017. In November 2017, I received a letter from IRB that my asylum case will be processed under expedited policy. Then I received another letter close to my hearing date that my refugee hearing is postponed for operational reasons. It is now three months that I have not heard anything. Knowing that there is alot of rush of people seeking asylum, I have two questions:
1. Does the expedited policy make any difference. I know there are people waiting for years for a hearing but are there people under expedited policy who have to wait for more than a year (or years)?
2. Are there other Afghans, Iraqis, Syrians, Eritreans etc. who are waiting for longer than a year.

Thank you very much for your responses.
Hello brother I'm from Afghanistan to in same situation can you send me your number

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello brother I'm from Afghanistan to in same situation can you send me your number
Yes there are members on this forum who are in the list of countries that have waited over 2 years. Your lawyer should have told your 1st hearing was always going to be cancelled.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Yes there are members on this forum who are in the list of countries that have waited over 2 years. Your lawyer should have told your 1st hearing was always going to be cancelled.
First hearing ALWAYS gets cancelled for any claim?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They have to schedule a hearing within 60 days but due to the backlog it is no longer possible for the hearings to be actually done so they get cancelled.