+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health

Anthropos

Feb 3, 2011
I just wanted to throw this out there for comment, because I was thinking this afternoon about the slow and steady (and significant!) weight gain I've experienced through my immigration process. And I suddenly realized that it might be stress related.

And I remember telling my husband before my physical that I would be one upset immigrant-to-be if I flunked my medical because of stress related high blood pressure.

I've also experienced signifigant immigration anxiety. (But that's par for the course!) And, sleep disruptions and dreams about immigration.

Am I the only one? Are you guys noticing any stress induced physical issues? What do you all do to beat the stress (besides, of course, staying busy!)?

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
are you two in the same country right now? my husband and i are not, and i found that my anxiety decreases if we set a date as to when we will see each other next. Also being on this forum too much is stressful, i would suggest NOT checking it multiple times a day lol.

also take some time for yourself, a hot bath, a massage, etc.

i found exercizing helps a lot, it decreases my stress levels significantly

hope that helps!

Jen85

Oct 23, 2010
Deep Brook, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Doc's Request.
06-05-11 / Sent RCMP Check in 14-06-11
AOR Received.
09-12-2010
File Transfer...
30-11-2010
Med's Request
Meds Received
Med's Done....
25-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-07-11
LANDED..........
30-09-11
I agree with exercising, especially something that you enjoy. When I feel really stressed, I go for a long walk, preferably in the countryside where I can think things through. It really does help settle my mind. And I have a very tired dog!!!! Do something you enjoy, anything that distracts you or quietens the racing thoughts in your head. This waiting is horrible and so much worse than I thought it would be. I think it is just the unknown that is driving me mad but I can so understand your stress.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
I've definitely noticed weight gain. This is due to increased eating of junk food (and more food overall), which I link to depression. When I eat, my mind feels happy. When I think about going out to eat, I get excited. The same goes with alcohol, though I'm certainly not an alcoholic (I'm too poor, and I never drink alone).

I nap a lot... I do it to relieve stress (or at least put it at bay), but also to have (hopefully) happy (yet sometimes bizzare) dreams, and to make time go by faster. If you limit your 24 hour day to only being awake for 10-12 hours, you'd be surprised by how fast it goes by. The weeks fly by before you even know it.

I spend money like a banshee... when I get depressed, I go on buying binges (usually with my credit card), though I usually keep it low-key (e.g. food, going to see movies, or driving and spending the night somewhere, say, for a weekend). I have a fetish for the Apple store, but fortunately, I don't have the necessary room on my card to purchase... anything from there.

So yeah, that's a little insight into the life of Pharoh, during this ordeal. I hope you've enjoyed it.

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
I've noticed a weight gain, too. One of the tough things for me is feeling like I'm making a worthwhile contribution to my little family with my husband. I'm in Canada with him, visiting while waiting (impatiently) for our application to be processed. This means that I'm unable to work, and we're living on a single income. It's tough on my self-esteem to be so dependent on someone else, and to watch my husband work so hard to carry us both.

Also, the isolation is tough. All of my family and friends are back home. Although I'm with my guy (and very happy and grateful for that) it's tough to have the rest of your support system so far away.

I try to volunteer with a local non-profit to keep busy. But I have to admit, I check the forums waayyy more than I probably should. I'm a little addicted! :D

Reactions: savemaria