+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health coverage for 2 children

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
We are sponsoring our 2 children of ages 2 and 4months. During the waiting period for their sponsorships, what kind of health coverage can we get for them?

Does anybody know how benefits from our job work? Will they cover our children even if they're not Landed immigrants yet?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Which province do you live in?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
SaraDenise said:
We are sponsoring our 2 children of ages 2 and 4months. During the waiting period for their sponsorships, what kind of health coverage can we get for them?

Does anybody know how benefits from our job work? Will they cover our children even if they're not Landed immigrants yet?
You don't mention your province of residence so it is difficult to answer your question properly. For example, here in BC a child living here with a pending PR application is covered as a dependent of her or his parent, but from what I've read it seems that Ontario won't give health coverage until they are permanent residents.

In either case, you will need to shop for private coverage from one of the myriad of insurance companies out there (e.g., manulife, blue cross, etc.) A quick internet search should turn up companies offering coverage in your area, or you should speak with an insurance broker.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah - you're out of luck since you live in Ontario. Their coverage will start three months after they become PRs.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
:( until that actually happens there's a whole lot to be done. And we don't even know exactly how we should apply for their sponsorship. There's just so many threads on that issue and each case is unique.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
SaraDenise said:
:( until that actually happens there's a whole lot to be done. And we don't even know exactly how we should apply for their sponsorship. There's just so many threads on that issue and each case is unique.
Child sponsorship cases are fairly straight-forward. The fee is lower ($75 instead of $475), no police certificates are required and the physical examination is less invasive. Normally, processing seems to be faster as well.

If the children are in Canada already, it's not generally a big concern - just fill out the paperwork, get the immigration physical done up front and send it all in to CPC-M (children can only be sponsored outland). Make sure to maintain their status in Canada - so if they are here on TRVs or TRPs, continue to renew them. If they are visa exempt, make sure to extend their visitor records.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
straight forward? there are so many threads here about child sponsorship from within canada and there is not one route that im absolutely sure about :( they mention so many case processing centres for different situations. most have TRP/TRV. my children are visa exempt so i dont know if applying with H&C works for our situation.
some mention that they sent the application to the CPC-M and it was sent to another cCPC because they were applying from in canada and it just made the waiting period even longer .

and the fee is only 75 $? how is it that much cheaper? the price I saw was 550 :/

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
SaraDenise said:
straight forward? there are so many threads here about child sponsorship from within canada and there is not one route that im absolutely sure about :( they mention so many case processing centres for different situations. most have TRP/TRV. my children are visa exempt so i dont know if applying with H&C works for our situation.
some mention that they sent the application to the CPC-M and it was sent to another cCPC because they were applying from in canada and it just made the waiting period even longer .

and the fee is only 75 $? how is it that much cheaper? the price I saw was 550 :/
I know I've gone through the fee calculations previously so I'm sure of them and can point you to the correct place in the fee schedule. Plus, there's no RPRF for minor children and the fee listed (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp) for a minor child as primary applicant is $75 ("Principal applicant, if less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner (including a dependent child of the sponsor, a child to be adopted and an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild"). There's a $75 sponsor fee as well (so the total is $150).

I wouldn't waste time trying to do it via the inland route. Just do it via the outland office, keep them in status in Canada and try to ignore the paperwork as much as possible while it's in process. I've never read anyone here reporting they had an interview for a child - the only problem/issue I've heard reported is that the overseas office sent correspondence to an old address (even though other CIC offices were sending it to a current address).

Seriously, though, the paperwork is fairly straight-forward: birth certificate, copy of the passport, completed forms, $150 fee (per child of course) and submit it to CPC-M.

H&C applications just aren't worth the hassle from what I've been able to tell - it takes a 6-12 months process and turns it into a 3-4 year process. But if you are overly concerned, consult with an immigration attorney.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
SaraDenise said:

Actually, your case is straightforward BECAUSE your kids are visa-exempt. It would be analogous to someone who is visa-exempt applying outland while "visiting" his or her spouse in Canada (nearly every American applies this way). If I remember correctly, all the complications arose on those other threads because (1) the TRPs some folks were able to get took them out of the outland process for some reason and (2) there is no inland process for children only.

Anyway, just apply outland normally (no H&C). If your kids got visitor records upon entry, apply to extend their visitor status before the expiration dates. If they didn't get anything, apply to extend their visitor status before 6 months are up. You can do this online. Also, if you're near the border you can just go visit the US and they're good for another 6 months upon reentry to Canada (or longer if you ask for visitor records at that point -- I got one for 1 year).

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
Thanks margobear96.

I'm actually filling out the applictaion at this moment. But things aren't quite clear (or I just don't understand). For example, do my children have to complete the applictaion Schedule A- Background/Declaration ? It says that the sponsored person has to complete it but mostly all of the questions asked are not applicable beacuse my children are only 2 years old and 4months :/

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
SaraDenise said:
Thanks margobear96.

I'm actually filling out the applictaion at this moment. But things aren't quite clear (or I just don't understand). For example, do my children have to complete the applictaion Schedule A- Background/Declaration ? It says that the sponsored person has to complete it but mostly all of the questions asked are not applicable beacuse my children are only 2 years old and 4months :/
The forms are generic and indeed they do not apply in all situations. Fill them out as best you can and if you think something isn't clear, attach a separate page and explain it. The VO is going to understand exactly what you said - a 2 year old and a 4 month old do not have much background to provide.