+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health care related course work

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
Hello,

My Fiancee is currently working as Dentist in India (MDS). She's planning to move here and not keen on continuing dentistry in Canada. Looking for suggestion for other possible courses in healthcare like public health, nutrition etc which will also have decent career opportunities. Would like to know if anyone has some similar experiences.

Thanks in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My Fiancee is currently working as Dentist in India (MDS). She's planning to move here and not keen on continuing dentistry in Canada. Looking for suggestion for other possible courses in healthcare like public health, nutrition etc which will also have decent career opportunities. Would like to know if anyone has some similar experiences.

Thanks in advance
Hygienist

Reactions: Shiv_CR7

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hello,

Thanks in advance
I know a few foreign trained dentists that have gone towards the healthcare management branch. It's one of the easiest options as it's regularly a 1 or 2 year college program. Getting into colleges is easier than university.

Reactions: Shiv_CR7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know a few foreign trained dentists that have gone towards the healthcare management branch. It's one of the easiest options as it's regularly a 1 or 2 year college program. Getting into colleges is easier than university.
Many are now denied SPs to attend college courses in health management which typically train you to manage places like doctor or dentist offices in Canada. Would not make sense for a dentist to enrol in this program and to attend the program which teaches you healthcare management based on federal and typically provincial health policies (usually teaches healthcare system in the province in the province where the school is located) in Canada if the foreign student is trying to show they will return home after studies. Pre-covid some foreign healthcare professionals did get approved to attend this type of degree so many started to apply for similar program versus things like masters in public health or health management which was fairly common programs for foreign trained healthcare professionals. The amount of international students applying for this college program likely lead to IRCC looking at why post grad courses in health management and instructions to examine more carefully whether applicants were genuine students and more SP denials. Given the new policies for international students getting a provincial attestation to attend many of these college programs will become extremely difficult if not impossible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Would not suggest public health unless very passionate about public health and willing to move abroad, at least temporarily, since many Canadian public health jobs involve living oversees or spending some time abroad. A masters in public health may not be enough for something like research or especially academia so a PhD would likely be needed even for research because of competition. There are a lot of public health graduates in Canada but many public health jobs in Canada are done by nurses. Canada has cut a lot of public health budgets in the past 10-15 years and there a lots of applicants for any non-nursing public health jobs. In terms of suggestions it really depends on field or interest and what she is good at doing. Doing a college program in IT for example would be a good combination to enter health tech. Many may discount college courses after university but it is fairly common in Canada. Many college degrees are more practical and lead to jobs versus many university programs are theoretical and don’t necessarily lead to obvious careers. I know many who did a 1-2 year college course after doing a bachelors degree at a Canadian university. MBA also a good option. She could train to be a registered dietician which is a masters degree. Programs are fairly competitive to get into. For example would likely be easier to enter an MBA program at good school (not top but good school) and many offer satellite programs in the large cities and many offer weekend and evening programs that allow students to work almost full-time while attending school if that is what they want/need to do. Combination of dentistry and MBA could lead to a variety of health management jobs. Technically there are unlimited options. It can be totally unrelated to health. There is no correct or easy answer to what other fields are an option. Could be anything.