+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone sold a temporarily imported vehicle as PR?

mogemoge

Sep 23, 2020
My situation: I moved to Canada with a work permit and my US-purchased vehicle, and have been a PR for 1 year.
Problem: I have to move out of Canada in 2 months for a personal reason, and I would like to sell the US-purchased car. However, I have not been able to declare the permanent import of that vehicle. The reason is that my US-title was taken away by Service Ontario when I registered my vehicle in Ontario (before getting the PR), but declaring permanent import requires the US-tile. I have been contacting the relevant DMV office in the US for 7 months to get a copy of my title, but they still tell me to wait.

My question is: What is the worst-case scenario if I just sell the car in Canada and permanently move out of Canada? Has anyone done it? (I know the right answer is "sell it in the US or otherwise destroy it). A car dealer told me they were willing to buy the car. I told them my situation, but they said there couldn't be any problem because the car already belongs to Ontario. If the penalty is that I have to pay a couple of thousand dollars after leaving Canada, I'd rather take that option... Thank you.