+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone changed your legal name during Citizenship process?

HiCanadiano

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone has changed their legal name while the Citizenship is in process.

I think I have to change my legal name now and my application was received in August. I havn't received any communications from CIC and was only adivsed that the application hasn't been returned. Because of my work related situation, it is better to change my legal name soon. I am preparing all the documents required. I just cheked the guideline for Citizenship, which seems they won't consider new name once the application process has begun.

I do not mind applying for a new citizenship certificate once this process is done. However, I would like to know if some has to go through the same situation like me and sucessfully received the grant of citizenship with the new name on it.

Please share any thoughts and information on this.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
HiCanadiano said:
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone has changed their legal name while the Citizenship is in process.

I think I have to change my legal name now and my application was received in August. I havn't received any communications from CIC and was only adivsed that the application hasn't been returned. Because of my work related situation, it is better to change my legal name soon. I am preparing all the documents required. I just cheked the guideline for Citizenship, which seems they won't consider new name once the application process has begun.

I do not mind applying for a new citizenship certificate once this process is done. However, I would like to know if some has to go through the same situation like me and sucessfully received the grant of citizenship with the new name on it.

Please share any thoughts and information on this.
I did legal name change after landing as an immigrant and got my PR card replaced with new name and now i am using my new name to apply for citizenship. Your scenario is different though

Dec 1, 2014
We are in a similar situation. We had our son's name changed before the citizenship application sent out, but the name change certificate came later as we expected, so we presented the citizenship with his old name. The name change certificate came about two weeks after the citizenship application was sent out, I called CIC by then and asked them what I should do. The agent I talked to suggested me to wait till we receive the AOR and get case no. and UCI, then send a seperate letter to CIC, using the case no. and UCI to ask for a new name for citizen card. After we got the AOR, I sent a letter explaining the name change of my son, along with the photocopy of the name change cert., of course I have to ref. the case no. and UCI of my son's application.

Our Ecas was activated last week and we can see our status as IP, my son's still shows with his old name, but I had just read some poster asked for a name change during the processing and he now can see his Ecas with his new name. So I will just double check later to see if this will happen to my son.

HiCanadiano

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yvonneislander said:
We are in a similar situation. We had our son's name changed before the citizenship application sent out, but the name change certificate came later as we expected, so we presented the citizenship with his old name. The name change certificate came about two weeks after the citizenship application was sent out, I called CIC by then and asked them what I should do. The agent I talked to suggested me to wait till we receive the AOR and get case no. and UCI, then send a seperate letter to CIC, using the case no. and UCI to ask for a new name for citizen card. After we got the AOR, I sent a letter explaining the name change of my son, along with the photocopy of the name change cert., of course I have to ref. the case no. and UCI of my son's application.

Our Ecas was activated last week and we can see our status as IP, my son's still shows with his old name, but I had just read some poster asked for a name change during the processing and he now can see his Ecas with his new name. So I will just double check later to see if this will happen to my son.
Thank you for the reply! It is really helpful. So I now can send the name change certificate. There is a possibility we can change our name during the process. I have to go to RCMP to get my finger print done as I am older than 18. I don't know why I am quite scared of doing it haha.

Anyway, I do appreciate you taking time for me! And I do hope your application will be processed soon!

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dropped a prefix in my last name after submitting my application but I mentioned the new name in the application. Anyway, application took long and I renewed my PR. My new PR came with the new last name and my ecase for both citizenship application and PR was updated with the new name.

In the interview, I told the officer that I had change my name and she saw that my name has been updated in the citizenship application as well. I haven't had my oath yet but the letter of test came with the new name.

Anyway, the change of name affected the duration as they did my security check once to twice more than a normal which at least delayed it 2-4 months.

jemesouviens

Star Member
Feb 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus/Amman
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ received 14-07-2010
AOR Received.
Federal file received 26-08-2010
File Transfer...
February 2012 to Amman
Med's Request
30-07-2013
Hi,

I landed 3 years ago as PR, and next year I'll be preparing the citizenship file. I heard that I can change my name during the application for citizenship, but when i called CIC today, they said that it needs to be done on the provincial level first.
Provincial level for me = Quebec ( YAY), and according to quebec law, I can only change my name if I'm a canadian citizen and have been living in the beautiful province of Quebec for at least one year ( catch 22).

Have anyone changed his name as a PR before becoming a citizen?

Please help ! Many thanks.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
jemesouviens said:
Hi,

I landed 3 years ago as PR, and next year I'll be preparing the citizenship file. I heard that I can change my name during the application for citizenship, but when i called CIC today, they said that it needs to be done on the provincial level first.
Provincial level for me = Quebec ( YAY), and according to quebec law, I can only change my name if I'm a canadian citizen and have been living in the beautiful province of Quebec for at least one year ( catch 22).

Have anyone changed his name as a PR before becoming a citizen?

Please help ! Many thanks.
A PR shouldn't be discriminated against in exercising basic legal rights.

Sep 23, 2018
I did legal name change after landing as an immigrant and got my PR card replaced with new name and now i am using my new name to apply for citizenship. Your scenario is different though
Can you please suggest me the process for the same. I have already started the PR process for canada and was thinking of changing the name in India itself. What do you suggest??