+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone attempted U-haul crossing at the border since closure?

raptora

Oct 22, 2018
Hi all,

When I landed via flight a couple weeks ago, the immigration agent handling my landing told me I should be fine driving a Uhaul with my belongings up through the border, as I am now a PR and they will not turn me away (plus my wife is a Canadian citizen).

Has anyone attempted driving a U-haul through since the border closure? My concern is that the U-haul itself might be turned away as "non essential," but from everything I've read, moving falls under that category and we should be okay but emailing CBSA resulted in a copy-pasted email that kept it vague.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, we crossed the border on May 11. We had no problems, it was very smooth.
Hey, I'm planning on moving to Windsor in a month.
What did you do with your stuff during the 14-day quarantine?

I want to store my belongings in a U-haul storage unit for a few months and self-isolate at an Airbnb, but I don't know if that's allowed since Uhaul facility is a public place.

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017

I want to store my belongings in a U-haul storage unit for a few months and self-isolate at an Airbnb, but I don't know if that's allowed since Uhaul facility is a public place.
Someone on another thread said a CBSA officer told them they couldn't even return the U-Haul once they unload at their destination, they needed to arrange for someone to do it for them.

raptora

Oct 22, 2018

Sorry for the late response - I already had an apartment rented in Canada, and ready to move into (stocked with nonperishable/frozen foods, house supplies, etc). As for the U-haul, CBSA actually didn't say anything about that other than to look over our goods list.

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Sorry for the late response - I already had an apartment rented in Canada, and ready to move into (stocked with nonperishable/frozen foods, house supplies, etc). As for the U-haul, CBSA actually didn't say anything about that other than to look over our goods list.
HI,

Did they look at each and every small thing in the truck and compare it with your goods to follow list?
I have not declared things like Kitchen utensils and other small inexpensive items here and there that pile up in a normal family.
Have declared big items like laptops, car, Jewelry etc.

Appreciate your response much