h1b visa is to be cancelled, waiting for ppr

genruab

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi forum users,

This is not much related to Canadian PR, but want to see if someone can help.

I have my H1B visa approved and already stamped visa in my passport. However, the fact that I received my ITA and waiting for PPR, and the US job offer being just above the minimal wage I decided to cancel my H1B and pursue the Canadian dream. I think the I-797 is still valid, although the job offer is not.

The question is can i travel to US first to transfer my flights? I am looking at air tickets and the good flights are through JFK, but leaving for Canada from Newark. Is it possible for me to enter US on my current H1B visa? Or should I re-apply for a visitor? It's just a matter of cost, I am travelling with my family so spending $150 per person for a visa seems to be illogical when i already have one.

What do you think?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi forum users,

This is not much related to Canadian PR, but want to see if someone can help.

I have my H1B visa approved and already stamped visa in my passport. However, the fact that I received my ITA and waiting for PPR, and the US job offer being just above the minimal wage I decided to cancel my H1B and pursue the Canadian dream. I think the I-797 is still valid, although the job offer is not.

The question is can i travel to US first to transfer my flights? I am looking at air tickets and the good flights are through JFK, but leaving for Canada from Newark. Is it possible for me to enter US on my current H1B visa? Or should I re-apply for a visitor? It's just a matter of cost, I am travelling with my family so spending $150 per person for a visa seems to be illogical when i already have one.

What do you think?
I dont think that they will allow if you are not having H1 status. They allow to do any leisure travel while on H1 but they wont issue B status with H visa.
Dont risk it and it might turn out to be more complicated for long run.