+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B & PR

NarutoCan

Sep 24, 2018
I have been working in the US (Boston) on an H1B visa for a few years now. I also obtained the Canadian PR in 2019 but haven't been able to find jobs in my stream. It is a tight market so the volume of jobs related to my field is significantly low in comparison to the US. The US company I am currently working for has initiated the green card process recently and it has been sluggish so far. While I want to settle in the US, I don't want to lose out on Canadian Citizenship either. I only have 2 months to move to Canada so that I will be able to meet the conditions for PR renewal i.e. mandatory stay in Canada for 2 yrs.

Like most IT guys, I cannot live and work close to the border as we do not have any offices in the borders of the US/ Canada. What options do I have to keep my H1B alive while being able to stay (continue the GC process) and work in Canada? My employer is OK working remotely but does it kill or become a problem for processing my GC? One of the options I have explored is to move to Canada and remotely work for my US employer as a Consultant. All advice, thoughts, and suggestions are appreciated.