+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Homeowner in US moving to Canada - Sell or Rent US home?

Aug 5, 2018
Hello Guys,

I am an H1B holder with COPR, moving to Canada in the month of November 2018. I own a home in US and was wondering if renting the home instead of selling it when moving to CA can be an option at all.

Any insights that you can share for tax and legal implications of owning, plus generating rental income in US as Canadian PR without a US visa, that you guys are aware of is much appreciated!

Thank you

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
I'm curious as to the answer as well. I do know that with the tax treaty between the US and Canada, you are not taxed on income below around $85K a year, but I don't know about rental income.

abscrazyfast

Mar 18, 2018
Bump. What did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat, planning my move but not sure if I should bite the bullet and sell, or rent my house out,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Bump. What did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat, planning my move but not sure if I should bite the bullet and sell, or rent my house out,
Very situational. Do you plan on returning to the US? Will you have enough money to purchase a home in Canada if that is your plan? What will your costs be with if you rent? How easily will it be to rent? Will you need to hire a property manager? How is the local market? Can you handle payments if you don’t have a tenant for a few months?