+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Class for Parent

Harman0402

Feb 16, 2024
I am the only child an my mother died in 2016. I am PR holder and my father has his supervisa. He has no siblings , no parents or anyone else taking care of him. Can i apply for his PR in H&C

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am the only child an my mother died in 2016. I am PR holder and my father has his supervisa. He has no siblings , no parents or anyone else taking care of him. Can i apply for his PR in H&C
[/QUOTE

That doesn’t guarantee PR via H&C. Is he able to care for himself? For example can he dress and shower himself? Can he prepare simple meals? Get access to shopping even if it is delivery? How old is he? When did you move to Canada and get PR? How many years have you been applying for PGP and how long have you met LICO? Being too ill could also make it difficult to qualify for H&C it’s a weird balance but being a widowed parent does not ensure he needs PR especially given the very generous visits allowed on supervisas. If he does apply and get denied then visiting may no longer be possible.

Here is a similar situation where widowed parent was not granted PR. There are certainly cases where it does happen but processing has become extremely long (around 2 years but getting longer) partially because so many people think they can easily get PR through H&C for their parent(s). Overstaying a supervisa waiting for an H&C response would not be recommended since it could have significant consequences. IRCC will likely have to come to some sort of decision about how to address all the people trying to secure PR for their parents through H&C which defeats the quota for PGP which has been created because Canada doesn’t have the resources to absorb any extra seniors but the government has set a quota to come to a certain happy medium. Supervisa length was increased partially because increase the PGP would be difficult to justify with our healthcare system in crisis and with our ageing population.

https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/421303/index.do

Last edited: