+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C application

Ebonybaba247

May 1, 2022
Ottawa
Good evening sir/ma am very sorry to come in your privacy am so sorry please I need your advice I want to know maybe my child sickle cell issue can disqualify us from our H&C.because we fill in our application since june 2022 and we received our AOR in July 2022 but since then we have not hear anything and we cant access ECAS as well I will be greatful for your advice.thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good evening sir/ma am very sorry to come in your privacy am so sorry please I need your advice I want to know maybe my child sickle cell issue can disqualify us from our H&C.because we fill in our application since june 2022 and we received our AOR in July 2022 but since then we have not hear anything and we cant access ECAS as well I will be greatful for your advice.thanks
Yes it could disqualify you due to cost. Is care available in your home country? What is your current status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Am a fail refugee claimant and I have JR and H&C application in process while my sickle cell daughter is a Canadian citizen she was born here
So that will likely benefit your case. Is treatment available in your home country? How bad is the sickle cell? Are you working and can you support your family without government aid? All of these things will be factors in the decision. The JR will be decided before H&C starts usually.

Ebonybaba247

May 1, 2022
Ottawa
So that will likely benefit your case. Is treatment available in your home country? How bad is the sickle cell? Are you working and can you support your family without government aid? All of these things will be factors in the decision. The JR will be decided before H&C starts usually.
Am from Nigeria while me and my wife is working to support our family and my sickle cell daughter was born here

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Am from Nigeria while me and my wife is working to support our family and my sickle cell daughter was born here
Impossible to say. Every H&C case is different and so is every sickle cell patient. Did you arrive and claim asylum? Not familiar about the access to sickle cell treatment in Nigeria and your economic status while you were in Nigeria. There are of course decent private hospitals in Nigeria and sickle cell is most common in people of African origin so the hospitals will be familiar in treating it although there aren’t great therapies but not everyone has the means to access treatment. Will partially depend on your child’s ability to access treatment in Nigeria, how often they are getting sickle cell crises and whether they have a mild or severe form of sickle cell, their prognosis,etc. Not sure if your doctor has explained that either you and your husband may have sickle cell (you’d probably know if you had sickle cell if you have had any blood work done) or be a carrier of the gene so subsequent children could also end up with sickle cell. You should discuss options with a geneticist and consider IVF to make sure no other children have sickle cell or are carriers preventing sickle cell in the next generation as well.

While you wait for JR and then H&C you should make sure to get involved in your community, keep working to support your family without government help, let your doctor know that you will need a letter from them about your child’s diagnosis, treatment/hospitalizations, prognosis plus get information about access to treatment in Nigeria and cost and whether that would be affordable given your family’s socioeconomic status in Nigeria, etc. You will likely have to pay for the letter from the doctor.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Sickle Cell SS trait or FSS will not disqualify your application under excessive demand on public health. If your child is under hydroxyurea or Apheresis procedure still does not go above the threeshold. I know sickle cell is common in some part of Africa and Asia, but it needs close care beyond sickle cell itself [other body functioning] and mortality rate is higher in Africa than in Western Countries, that is what concern every parent. I saw comment from canucks that there are decent private clinic in Nigeria, unless if she is from Nigeria and she understands medical infrastructure and mortality rate then go with her advise. I am not from Nigeria either but i am 100% there are no such care to compare, and if there's it is expensive and far located. For sickle cell child, when in pain crisis every minute count and matters. If your hematologist can write you a letter as support your HC Application that a child will be under good care here in Canada, please request and attach it. Sorry for what your going through, hope your child stay hydrated and safe. Good luck

Ebonybaba247

May 1, 2022
Ottawa
Sickle Cell SS trait or FSS will not disqualify your application under excessive demand on public health. If your child is under hydroxyurea or Apheresis procedure still does not go above the threeshold. I know sickle cell is common in some part of Africa and Asia, but it needs close care beyond sickle cell itself [other body functioning] and mortality rate is higher in Africa than in Western Countries, that is what concern every parent. I saw comment from canucks that there are decent private clinic in Nigeria, unless if she is from Nigeria and she understands medical infrastructure and mortality rate then go with her advise. I am not from Nigeria either but i am 100% there are no such care to compare, and if there's it is expensive and far located. For sickle cell child, when in pain crisis every minute count and matters. If your hematologist can write you a letter as support your HC Application that a child will be under good care here in Canada, please request and attach it. Sorry for what your going through, hope your child stay hydrated and safe. Good luck
Thanks alot am very greatful for your response

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please don’t misquote me. I said that it would partially depend on the ability to access care in Nigeria. I have not declared that treatment can be accessed at a private clinic in Nigeria. The severity of the sickle cell will make a difference and it can be considered under excessive demand if a stem cell transplant is needed, if there is longterm hospital stays although that may be balanced out with cocerns over lack of access to treatment in Nigeria, etc. We have no idea what the severity of the sickle cell case is and what treatment would be accessible to this family if they did return to Nigeria. The family’s financial situation makes a huge difference in access to care in Africa, whether they live in Lagos, etc. Every sickle cell patient is different. This is something they should be discussing with their lawyer and the child’s prognosis and specific treatment plan is something they will need to determine with the hematologist.