+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C application for my elderly aunt

irochka832

Oct 26, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Hello,

I have applied an H&C application for my elderly aunt who raised me as her daughter. She never had her family and she has no one else in the world but me and my children (whom she also raised when they were very little). We submitted August 2018 and since then our status "Application received".
Should we start worrying? I can see that people have been usually contacted within a year or so but we are already waiting for almost 17 months without any sign of change.

My family established life in Canada since 2010. We are citizens.

And advice?

Does it mean our case has no chance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have applied an H&C application for my elderly aunt who raised me as her daughter. She never had her family and she has no one else in the world but me and my children (whom she also raised when they were very little). We submitted August 2018 and since then our status "Application received".
Should we start worrying? I can see that people have been usually contacted within a year or so but we are already waiting for almost 17 months without any sign of change.

My family established life in Canada since 2010. We are citizens.

And advice?

Does it mean our case has no chance?
Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do but wait. Not everyone is contacted within a year. Some people wait two years before they hear whether they have first stage approval or a refusal.

irochka832

Oct 26, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Thank you very much for your super fast reply.

The processing time on the website says 31 months but my understanding is that this is the time of the whole process and the AIP (if we are lucky) would be usually expected sooner?
Also, if the status is still "application received", does it tell me that they did not even open the file yet, in which case it would be changed to "In process" or they may not follow this logic?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you very much for your super fast reply.

The processing time on the website says 31 months but my understanding is that this is the time of the whole process and the AIP (if we are lucky) would be usually expected sooner?
Also, if the status is still "application received", does it tell me that they did not even open the file yet, in which case it would be changed to "In process" or they may not follow this logic?
Order GCMS notes to see the status of the file.

irochka832

Oct 26, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Can I do it on behalf of my aunt? Our application was submitted by an immigration counselor office and they are handling all the correspondence with the immigration if it comes through but so far it has been nothing. Should I ask them in this case?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok lets start with following.
As you do have family (your children) you cannot sponsor her under lonely Canadian condition.
And unless she did adopt you, you cannot try parents and grand parents program.

Now what was the status of your aunt in Canada when she send the application (regardless if you helped here or a immigration consultant has sent it on her behalf). if she was not in Canada at that moment, that application could be automatically rejected.
Also where is she now? She would better be still in Canada with a valid status in order for that application to have a chance.

irochka832

Oct 26, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Yes she was in Canada and stays in Canada for all this time legally and our situation is very rare and extreme and we had only one choice - H&C.

My concern was mostly the time. I was expecting to see at least change in status to In Process after 17 months but it looks like we had no luck so far.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can I do it on behalf of my aunt? Our application was submitted by an immigration counselor office and they are handling all the correspondence with the immigration if it comes through but so far it has been nothing. Should I ask them in this case?
You can order notes.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There seems to have been som chances done to try to deal with the huge volume of applicants. There doesn’t seem to always be the strict 2 stages process with a particular order.