+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guarantor for Passport - Location and Original IDs

coffee14

Jun 29, 2011
Hello,
I am applying for a Canadian passport for the first time since I recently got my citizenship. I need clarifications about the guarantor requirement. My close friend will be my guarantor but she is now living in a different city. Is that acceptable?

Also, does she need to see my original ID? I will be mailing my application to her for completion, but it will be difficult for me to mail my original drivers license as I need it for driving.

I am confused because it states in the guarantor declaration that: "... to confirm that I have seen the original(s)." But it does not state in the instructions that the guarantor have to be physically next to the applicant to verify the original IDs or to verify the original IDs from afar.

Thanks!

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hello,
I am applying for a Canadian passport for the first time since I recently got my citizenship. I need clarifications about the guarantor requirement. My close friend will be my guarantor but she is now living in a different city. Is that acceptable?

Also, does she need to see my original ID? I will be mailing my application to her for completion, but it will be difficult for me to mail my original drivers license as I need it for driving.

I am confused because it states in the guarantor declaration that: "... to confirm that I have seen the original(s)." But it does not state in the instructions that the guarantor have to be physically next to the applicant to verify the original IDs or to verify the original IDs from afar.

Thanks!
You need not send your original DL. you need to photocopy (front and back) have your guarantor signature and date it

coffee14

Jun 29, 2011
@delray55 thank you! so it would be acceptable for me to mail the application to my guarantor (who lives in a different city) with my photo and copy of my photo identifications (and without the original)?
My guarantor is my close friend of 15 years but we no longer live in the same city anymore :(

Thank you.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
@delray55 thank you! so it would be acceptable for me to mail the application to my guarantor (who lives in a different city) with my photo and copy of my photo identifications (and without the original)?
My guarantor is my close friend of 15 years but we no longer live in the same city anymore :(

Thank you.
It would depend on your guarantor. If they are comfortable to sign your forms/photocopies without reviewing the originals it should be fine.
What i am saying is passport office is not going ask you proof if you visited their house/office or sent originals through post.
reg. question of staying in another city guarantor should be able to confirm (if called) that they know you for atleast past 2 years and your appearance on photos is same as you are today