+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GST/HST notice - must pay $500 after marital status change

Eisuk

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Hi guys,

Can someone please help me to understand my situation?

I just received a GST/HSTC notice stating I need to repay $500.
I have never even received any government payment / credit regarding GST/HST.
Notice states they cannot calculate if I'm STILL eligible (even tho I have never received any payment so how "still"?) to receive a credit for all periods because they do not know my spouse's 2018 income.
Thing as follows: we got married in Feb 2019, my spouse had never had any income neither in Canada, or in her home country as she was a full time student before she migrated to Canada. She even did not hold a work permit in Canada until March 2019.
My personal income never exceeded $40.000 / a year so I fall into "low income".
As I mentioned, my spouse had never received any income in her life, she started her first ever job, in Canada, in April 2019.

Can someone please help us understanding where such a high amount due comes from?

Once again, I never received any payment, any cheque from the government so how come I need to repay?

Many thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

Notice states they cannot calculate if I'm STILL eligible (even tho I have never received any payment so how "still"?) to receive a credit for all periods because they do not know my spouse's 2018 income.
Thing as follows: we got married in Feb 2019, my spouse had never had any income neither in Canada, or in her home country as she was a full time student before she migrated to Canada. She even did not hold a work permit in Canada until March 2019.
As I mentioned, my spouse had never received any income in her life, she started her first ever job, in Canada, in April 2019.

Can someone please help us understanding where such a high amount due comes from?

Once again, I never received any payment, any cheque from the government so how come I need to repay?

Many thanks
GST/HST credit is automatically calculated when filing taxes; you likely received the credit. Call CRA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Might have to call, yeah.
But any idea why suddenly I need to repay so much? My earnings haven't changed.
The credit is based on family income. They need your spouse's income to calculate how much you were entitled to receive. Until they have that, they are saying you have to pay back what you got.

Eisuk

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Ok, I sent an explanation yesterday saying she never had an income and started her first job in Canada in April 2019. Will see how ot turns out.
Until I receive the decision, should I delay the due payment or should I pay it and hoping for refund?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, I sent an explanation yesterday saying she never had an income and started her first job in Canada in April 2019. Will see how ot turns out.
Until I receive the decision, should I delay the due payment or should I pay it and hoping for refund?
Always best to pay to avoid being hit by penalties even if you don't think you owe anything.

Eisuk

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
That's true, especially if their decision might take up to 3 months.
In case they recalculate it again to see there really was no additional income coming from my spouse's side, would they grant a refund? How does it work in reality?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's true, especially if their decision might take up to 3 months.
In case they recalculate it again to see there really was no additional income coming from my spouse's side, would they grant a refund? How does it work in reality?
If they determine you were entitled to the benefit, then you will receive it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi guys,

Many thanks
File a Notice if Objection . This will automatically stop the collection process until you file a reassessment

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/when-you-money-collections-cra/collections-limitation-period.html

For tax debts subject to collection restrictions, the CRA cannot start collection action:

during the time that you dispute your debt by filing a notice of objection or appeal

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
File a Notice if Objection . This will automatically stop the collection process until you file a reassessment

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/when-you-money-collections-cra/collections-limitation-period.html

For tax debts subject to collection restrictions, the CRA cannot start collection action:

during the time that you dispute your debt by filing a notice of objection or appeal
However, interest still accrues during that time on amounts that end up actually being owed.

SNSNSN

Nov 5, 2020
Hello,
I also received the same notice. Could you please let me know how did you sent your explanation, whether via call or mail? Also, did they cancel the due?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I also received the same notice. Could you please let me know how did you sent your explanation, whether via call or mail? Also, did they cancel the due?
Where you married and hadn't declared it? They were correctly asked to pay back the money. Working has nothing to do with it.