+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Grew up in canada, from 1 year old, to 41 years old, but have been gone for 14 years now

hello hi

Feb 7, 2020
yes hello, I Grew up in canada, from 1 year old, to 41 years old, to me its my home, im canadian, but I have been gone for 14 years now and I never had citizenship, i was a landed immigrant all that time. I would like to go home now, but i dont know if i will be able to, seems like there will be a lot of problems.

Any advice or information would be helpful.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yes hello, I Grew up in canada, from 1 year old, to 41 years old, to me its my home, im canadian, but I have been gone for 14 years now and I never had citizenship, i was a landed immigrant all that time. I would like to go home now, but i dont know if i will be able to, seems like there will be a lot of problems.

Any advice or information would be helpful.

Thank you.
You no longer meet the PR residency requirement so it may be quite challenging to keep your PR status.

To try to keep your PR status, you would need to fly to the US and try to re-enter Canada through a land border (using a private vehicle) without being reported by CBSA for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are able to re-enter Canada without being reported, you will need to live in Canada for two straight years before you will be able to renew your PR card and know your PR status is safe. If you are reported by CBSA for failing to meet the residency requirement when you enter Canada, then you will be called to a hearing and will lose your PR status officially, and will then be told to leave Canada.

It's a shame you didn't apply for citizenship before you left for such a long period of time.

hello hi

Feb 7, 2020
You no longer meet the PR residency requirement so it may be quite challenging to keep your PR status.

To try to keep your PR status, you would need to fly to the US and try to re-enter Canada through a land border (using a private vehicle) without being reported by CBSA for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are able to re-enter Canada without being reported, you will need to live in Canada for two straight years before you will be able to renew your PR card and know your PR status is safe. If you are reported by CBSA for failing to meet the residency requirement when you enter Canada, then you will be called to a hearing and will lose your PR status officially, and will then be told to leave Canada.

It's a shame you didn't apply for citizenship before you left for such a long period of time.
ah thank you for your reply. what sort of private vehicle, a rented car? could i walk across at niagra falls?

hello hi

Feb 7, 2020
You can walk or rent a car or have a friend pick you up.
hi thank you.

a friend is a good idea, but if a friend picked me up, wouldnt it have been noted that he went to america alone and came back with someone in the car with him? maybe thats me being a bit over cautious, but dont the guards note those things at the border?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi thank you.

a friend is a good idea, but if a friend picked me up, wouldnt it have been noted that he went to america alone and came back with someone in the car with him? maybe thats me being a bit over cautious, but dont the guards note those things at the border?
No matter how you enter, you will need to show ID and speak with an officer.

Since you've been outside of Canada for almost 15 years, there's quite a high chance you may be reported.

What passport do you hold?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi thank you.

With a 14 year absence and no valid PR card, expect to be reported by CBSA regardless.

hello hi

Feb 7, 2020
Would add that you may find it hard to get a health card without a valid PR card.
i have an expired health card.

yes to the other two who answered, this is what i was thinking, going to be problems.

I have a british passport.

thank you for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i have an expired health card.

yes to the other two who answered, this is what i was thinking, going to be problems.

I have a british passport.

thank you for your help.
You'll need to fly to the US and try to re-enter Canada through a land border crossing without being reported.

You can't fly to Canada directly.

You should assuming that getting your health card renewed will be an issue. So you'll want to take out insurance to cover any emergency medical care you need. For any non-emergency medical care, you will need to pay for that yourself. So you'll want to make sure you have enough funds to cover all of this.

hello hi

Feb 7, 2020
You'll need to fly to the US and try to re-enter Canada through a land border crossing without being reported.

You can't fly to Canada directly.

You should assuming that getting your health card renewed will be an issue. So you'll want to take out insurance to cover any emergency medical care you need. For any non-emergency medical care, you will need to pay for that yourself. So you'll want to make sure you have enough funds to cover all of this.
hi thank you,

I only mentioned the health card as someone else had and i was thinking about having valid canadian id, im in perfect health and although i certainly hope i dont need it for health care, i have plenty of money.