+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Greetings! I'm a prospective student from Malaysia! Seeking advices

WayneCheah

Nov 27, 2011
Hello people, this would be my first post here in the forums! Hello!

I am currently a 17 year old high school student here in Malaysia. I'm of Chinese descent (sorry if that was a bit racist I didn't know if I should just tell you people my race directly to avoid any speculations yadda yadda yadda) and I will be taking the Ontario Secondary School Certificate from a very well-known college here in Malaysia, Taylor's College.

The thing is, studying and migrating to Canada has always been my dream since I was 11. I am extremely keen on studying there although I have never been there. I mean, Canada's totally the best choice for me since I speak fluent English (it's my native language, actually), with really diverse community there especially Asians and much more stable compared to the United States. Living environment there is way better than Australia too. Many Malaysian students here opt to go for Australia rather than Canada.. Haha

My question is, I've gone through the tuition fees of several universities there in Canada, such as UBC Vancouver and others. I've noticed that international students' tuition fees are of way higher than for Canadian PRs and citizens (about nearly 4 times the costs)

I would really love to try to save up money and pay my tuition fees as a PR there instead. Unfortunately, I do not have any people there related to me by blood so I can't opt for The Family Class Sponsorship way... With only an OSSD qualification, will I be able to get a PR there if I stay there for some time THEN only I pursue my undergrad studies? I wouldn't mind working temporarily there for some time before pursuing my studies although I might be much older then... :'(

I would really appreciate it if any of the people here could advice me regarding this matter. Thank you for your time reading this post and I hope any of you sirs and madams would be able to advice me about this. :D

Regards,

Wayne Cheah

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to become a permanent resident, they you will have to qualify through one of the following programs:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

To be completely honest, I think it's going to be very difficult for you to qualify for PR with only OSSD and no relatives here to sponsor you. Further education and/or work experience is typically a base requirement.

Have a look through the various immigration categories in the link above. Maybe you'll find something that might work for you. And if you don't qualify now, at least you'll become more familiar with what further education and/or work experience you need in order to qualify.

Good luck.

WayneCheah

Nov 27, 2011
Hi!

Ah that's sad news. I guess one must have the university's academic qualifications to be considered as a skilled worker, huh? Thanks for your time. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
WayneCheah said:
Hi!

Ah that's sad news. I guess one must have the university's academic qualifications to be considered as a skilled worker, huh? Thanks for your time. :)
No - you don't necessarily need a university or college degree (although it certainly helps). However having work experience is typically very important. Again, have a read through the different immigration programs and streams. This will give you a better idea of what your options are now and for the future.

WayneCheah

Nov 27, 2011
Ah scylla, if you're still reading this, do you mind answering this question?

Do international students there who work off campus in part time jobs get paid equally as a normal Canadian citizen? Just want to know if there's any discrimination in wages or not. If I am not wrong ( I hope I'm not) it's almost the same, right? And minimum wages of working in Ontario is about 10 CAD per hour, right?

can't post the link since I am new here. But I'm looking at the Ontario's Ministry of Labour's minimum wage increase for 2010. So my main question is, does this minimum wage apply for international students with work permit as well?