+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Green card EAD residency requirements

AlwaysBlessed

Feb 12, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have received my Green card based EAD/AP (not Green card) and I have Canada PR. I am working remote for US company based in Colorado and I have informed my company that I will be working from Detroit. My company is not willing to transfer me to Canada.
I would appreciate if someone can answer my below questions:

1. Can I stay in Canada and travel everyday on EAD/AP to Detroit, will I have any issues at border on either side? (I will be renting a space in Detroit to maitain my US Payroll)
2. If I do not want to travel everyday, is it ok if I come to US only once or twice a month?
3. If I do as above, will there be any issues while its time to renew my EAD/AP?

Thank you for your inputs.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello everyone,

I have received my Green card based EAD/AP (not Green card) and I have Canada PR. I am working remote for US company based in Colorado and I have informed my company that I will be working from Detroit. My company is not willing to transfer me to Canada.
I would appreciate if someone can answer my below questions:

1. Can I stay in Canada and travel everyday on EAD/AP to Detroit, will I have any issues at border on either side? (I will be renting a space in Detroit to maitain my US Payroll)
2. If I do not want to travel everyday, is it ok if I come to US only once or twice a month?
3. If I do as above, will there be any issues while its time to renew my EAD/AP?

Thank you for your inputs.
You need to use commuter greencard to do that.
With regular EAD/AP, you cant. You have to leave PR and choose GC. Not sure if you can apply at this stage.
Check with your lawyer first. Dont jeopardize by planning on your own or by seeking advice on forums.

Residency requirements/intent for US on GC is totally different than the one for PR. You cant have both usually.

AlwaysBlessed

Feb 12, 2018
You need to use commuter greencard to do that.
With regular EAD/AP, you cant. You have to leave PR and choose GC. Not sure if you can apply at this stage.
Check with your lawyer first. Dont jeopardize by planning on your own or by seeking advice on forums.

Residency requirements/intent for US on GC is totally different than the one for PR. You cant have both usually.
Thank you. Any recommendation for lawyer?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thank you. Any recommendation for lawyer?
I am talking about your own company lawyer who would give you free advice as your company pays for your GC processing. Just ask them if you can move to Canada or not or is there any option.

While keeping your job, you cant move without telling your company in the first place. As you have to tell your company anyway, you can anyway ask your immigration team on it and get their legal advice.

You cant simply go with some other lawyer since your company wont be taking any decision given by your personal lawyer.

Reactions: paneka penalty

AlwaysBlessed

Feb 12, 2018
I am talking about your own company lawyer who would give you free advice as your company pays for your GC processing. Just ask them if you can move to Canada or not or is there any option.

While keeping your job, you cant move without telling your company in the first place. As you have to tell your company anyway, you can anyway ask your immigration team on it and get their legal advice.

You cant simply go with some other lawyer since your company wont be taking any decision given by your personal lawyer.
Got it. I will check with my company lawyer. Appreciate your inputs. Thank you

AlwaysBlessed

Feb 12, 2018
Hi @AUG2020,
Sorry for late reply.
I have greencard EAD and I did check with few lawyers regarding this. They said after getting green card EAD until actual green card, its gray area. There are no set rules. So I decided to move to Canada. I do go to US about once a month. They do secondary inspection every time and it's tough sometimes depending on officer. Let me know if you have any more questions.